• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bowie knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbowie1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been collecting bowie knives for along time [WHEN I HAD THE EXTRA$} I have several [CASE BOWIES] new in box. and some handmade custom bowies also the [western brand bowies made in the 60,s and 70,s]Anyone else carry a BOWIE at roondy???? After i saw the movie made back in 1953 [THE IRON MISTRESS] staring ALAN LADD as jim bowie i was hooked lol.

A lot of folks do,
But the "Bowie" actually came along quite late in the fur trade era (1830?) IMHO the original/early style that resembled a large butcher is a better fit for anything earlier.

necchi said:
A lot of folks do,
But the "Bowie" actually came along quite late in the fur trade era (1830?) IMHO the original/early style that resembled a large butcher is a better fit for anything earlier.

Very true. The English began exporting Bowie knives in the late 30's. Before then there were but a few American cutlery firms making them in any real quantity.

I don't collect them and have no particular interest in them, but I bought one at an auction a long time ago which is an interesting one. It's made by the J. Russell Co., Green River Works, after 1870. Stag handle and 8" blade.

Spence

I like a Bowie as much as the next guy and I've made a bunch of them, one with a dog bone ebony handle and all the bells and whisles, etc. BUT... I think they were too heavy to lug around the mountains. Bowies were carried more along the fringes of the west- where you might get into a bar room brawl, etc. In the mountains it was either a scalper or butcher knife however the NDN's often had dags and some mountain men carried fighting knives on the left front (cross draw sheath) but I think they were more often a double edge tooth pick or dagger style.

Very nice knife and in excellent condition. Forty-five years ago an ex-girlfriend's father had a IXL - Wostenholm bowie that I really coveted. It was quite old and the blade had been sharpened a lot but it was still a handsome knife. Alas, we broke up before I could persuade her dad to give it to me although he did give a nice German saber.

George, Nice Green River! I was wondering if you could post a picture of the top of the blade and also give measurements of the thickness and width of the blade.

Thanks much!
Handy

Handy, the blade is 8 3/8" long, 7/8" wide in front of the guard, 1 1/8" wide after the step, 1 5/16" wide at the widest point, the peak. It is 1/8" thick at the spine. From the guard to the step it is not tapered, from there on it is a straight taper, not concave or convex, from spine to edge. Don't know what it's called, but the ground part of the spine goes all the way to the tip.

Hard to get good photos of the spine, hope these are what you need.

Spence

Page from the 1884 Russell catalog-

Scan14.jpeg

Spence, I appreciated you going the extra mile by posting the extra Pics. Very kind of you. I don't quite know what it is yet but something about the knife bugs me...

Handy

Handy said:
I don't quite know what it is yet but something about the knife bugs me...
If you'd like to see any other parts close-up, just let me know.

Spence

Back