• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bound to happen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 49399

54 Cal.
Reaction score
87789E4C-0BBF-49EC-AFAE-7B4F07F0D4D5.jpeg
87C233CF-C87B-4276-872C-583AF1AF1F70.jpeg
23F9B1F2-622C-4120-866A-9AFF9842DF50.jpeg

So, shoot long enough and often enough, you’ll eventually get a stuck ball. On the bright side, I learned to remove a barrel and breech plug from my rifle. May be ready for a Kibler now!😁

Attachments

• A3A1E2CC-4DCE-4BFD-8439-781094486BB9.jpeg
    A3A1E2CC-4DCE-4BFD-8439-781094486BB9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 3
This is where the false breech on Traditions rifles has its benefits.

There's room behind the ball for some powder.

This was not the usual dry ball. I did load powder first. But, I tried to take a shortcut and that’s where I messed up.

I was loading powder, wad of tow, round ball and another wad of tow. This worked good as long as I seated the wad, ball and wad separately. But, big dummy got in a hurry, and tried to push the wad of tow only about an inch into the barrel. Then the ball was pushed down into the tow, the top wad pushed in and all of it pushed down together.

The dry tow wrapped up around the ball like a patch and when it was pushed down the barrel all the crud gathered up under it and caused it to stick about two inches above where it should be seated. It wouldn’t budge. I didn’t have a range rod and I wasn’t about to break my good wooden rod. At first I thought maybe I’d loaded two balls, but only afterwards did I figure out what actually happened.

There was some good to come from all this though. First, I was reminded not to take short cuts when working with muzzleloaders.

Secondly, I learned how to safely remove a barrel from a full stock. I’d always shot mostly Hawken type guns with a hooked breech. Removing a barrel from a full stock seemed intimidating at first but it’s really not that hard. I used the Black Powder TV video as a guide.

Finally, I’m glad I took it apart because there was some rust under the barrel and tang which need cleaned up.

I think you did great Banjoman. Yes, you’re ready to assemble a Kibler.

Yeah, after taking it apart, removing the ball, cleaning everything thing up and putting it back together, I got to thinking maybe I could assemble a Kibler. I even learned how not to leave “beauty marks” and how to clean them up if I do.

But first, I gotta go see if I can sharpen a pencil now.

Yeah, after taking it apart, removing the ball, cleaning everything thing up and putting it back together, I got to thinking maybe I could assemble a Kibler. I even learned how not to leave “beauty marks” and how to clean them up if I do.

But first, I gotta go see if I can sharpen a pencil now.
You would be surprised at what you can do.

Back