• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bottom pour lead furnace. Lyman or RCBS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who was demeaning other than you? I just said I didn’t like the bottom pour. I’m happy you are successful with your bottom pour. I cleaned my lead in separate pots before pouring into my Lee pot. I have upwards of 500lbs of old lead water pipe. It’s disgustingly dirty with dirt embedded into the lead and extremely hard to get clean. No matter how many times I skimmed it once I put it into my bottom pour I got clogs. I found it just easier and less frustrating to just dip from the pot I was cleaning from. Not everyone has to agree with you but being an ass is unnecessary on your part. Thanks for showing others that people in this sport have jerks too.
That was not directed at you treeman. Your post was respectful and worthy of the person you are.
My post was also not in response or quoted any part of what you said. - So where in the blazes did you calling me names come from? A little off base there buddy -
We have one user here that decided to "lecture" me on the evils of using a bottom pour and went on and on about how I just didn't know anything about casting.
His post and my response to him were both deleted - (justifiably so)
It's folks like that which cause responses like mine.
And I also did not call you or anyone here a name - like you just did.
I also CLEARLY stated that every caster had a choice - and that I supported that choice.
So tell me - just what did I say that was not perfectly accurate? And I never asked ANYONE to agree with me - just not be the ASS that you called me by posting negative comments abut something not working right - when it's their own fault.

I have used Lee pots for years. All bottom pour and all reliable. I bought a new one maybe three years ago and just bought another new one to reserve just for pure lead and muzzleloader balls.
I make adjustments during each session and that seems to remove any dripping. But what might drip I just return to the pot.
much better that over an open flame. And fir the money my opinion is you can not beat a Lee furnace. Or most if their other equipment.

well glad I read the posts that posted since I about posted but didnt post.

Looks like deleting was done rightfully. some drip in some dip we all shoot the can to make it flip, getcha a beer n take a sip, soon we all got to get a grip lest a rabid dog gets a nip, dang look like I shootin from the hip, better n a shoulder wearing a chip. Time to work now so i goin zip..........

That was not directed at you treeman. Your post was respectful and worthy of the person you are.
My post was also not in response or quoted any part of what you said. - So where in the blazes did you calling me names come from? A little off base there buddy -
We have one user here that decided to "lecture" me on the evils of using a bottom pour and went on and on about how I just didn't know anything about casting.
His post and my response to him were both deleted - (justifiably so)
It's folks like that which cause responses like mine.
And I also did not call you or anyone here a name - like you just did.
I also CLEARLY stated that every caster had a choice - and that I supported that choice.
So tell me - just what did I say that was not perfectly accurate? And I never asked ANYONE to agree with me - just not be the ASS that you called me by posting negative comments abut something not working right - when it's their own fault.
I apologize. I assumed your previous comment was directed towards me. I did not see the comment your referring to that was deleted.

well glad I read the posts that posted since I about posted but didnt post.

Looks like deleting was done rightfully. some drip in some dip we all shoot the can to make it flip, getcha a beer n take a sip, soon we all got to get a grip lest a rabid dog gets a nip, dang look like I shootin from the hip, better n a shoulder wearing a chip. Time to work now so i goin zip..........

If you don't mind, what's the cost of a rebuild on the pot? Easy issue?
wm

Back when I sent the pot to Lee (it was a long time ago) they did it for $20. I checked a few years ago and it's was more than double that. Thing about it, however, is that they return what appears to be a brand new pot. It still would likely be less than the cost of a new one.

I have a Lee, RCBS, Lyman and a Waage.

I converted all of the bottom pours to ladle pours by removing the mechanisms.

The Waage is the best pot I have personally ever used, it is big with a large opening for the ladle and holds temperature exactly where you set it for very little weight variation in the finished product. I only use it with certified 20:1 alloy for BIG bullets.

It's not cheap but I think it is worth it.

Guess that is where I stand.

My Personal experience with a ladle was a pita. Too slow for my needs at that time and my expectations for perfection weren't that high. My bottom pour does a satisfactory job for me. I just cast for adequate bullets and round balls and to get enough of them casted in a reasonable amount of time. Casting isn't something I love to do, it's just necessary to keep on shooting. We all have our preferences and that is how it's supposed to be.

Back when I sent the pot to Lee (it was a long time ago) they did it for $20. I checked a few years ago and it's was more than double that. Thing about it, however, is that they return what appears to be a brand new pot. It still would likely be less than the cost of a new one.
I pinged Lee about rebuilding pots and they said the charge is 50% of the new purchase price plus shipping.
Heck. If it comes back like new that would indeed be worth it.

wm

My Personal experience with a ladle was a pita. Too slow for my needs at that time and my expectations for perfection weren't that high. My bottom pour does a satisfactory job for me. I just cast for adequate bullets and round balls and to get enough of them casted in a reasonable amount of time. Casting isn't something I love to do, it's just necessary to keep on shooting. We all have our preferences and that is how it's supposed to be.
I ladle cast the big stuff - 1 and 2 pound trot line weights.
When I was casting with my grandfather in the 50's and 60's the only thing we had were ladles and a huge iron pot.
We cast everything from fishing weights to bullets to 50# bars for plow weights.
When he needed lead - he made the trip to the ASARCO plant in Amarillo, a 2 ton flatbed load. The old Jimmy would howl through the gears on the way home.

Ladle casting is for me and what I do - way too slow....
With my sampled QC that I do - I maintain an average of less than .4% deviance of weight.
I would put that quality up against any ladle caster that would care to try and match it.

Ok, but will a .45 round ball kill a deer, IF it was poured from an electric melter?
As long as you don't tell the deer - they won't be able to tell the difference.
I have an acquaintance that killed a deer with a marble. But he did not tell the deer about it before hand....

Bottom pour i find great for round ball ,But for Minnies the ladle is the go for well filled out bullets as is 550 grain big bullets for them modern things one shoots.Lee pots are tops for the cost, Just like to dip don't like the drip ;) Cheers

I have used the same 10# Lee bottom pour lead pot for 45 years and it is still going strong. Just pay attention to what your pot is doing and avoid distractions. Keep a screw driver, pair of channel locks and a container handy to hold the lead ( I use a Lyman ingot mold) for the very rare occasion.

I'm ready to retire my Lee furnace and looking for opinions. Thanks, James
My suggestion goes to the Lyman mag 25. Its temperature control keeps what ever alloy you have in it at a very consistent tmoerature and the fan that runs on the brains of the thing eliminates the need to go thru a cool down process like the RCBS pot has to go thru
Yaoundé can use it for ladle pouring quite easily when casting the big bullets used for accuracy shooting to 1000 yards and beyond, and the adjustable flow control and guide rails make using the bottom pour very reliable for consistency t smaller bullets such as round ball, pistol bullets and small caliber file bullets

Back when I was heavy in to the BPCR scene every AAA and Master class shooter that I knew personally shooting either long range (up to 1000 yards) or silhouette (up to 500 yards) was using a ladle. There must have been a reason.

Weighing bullets and powder, annealing cases etc. Not many believed in it but a mentor started me in to putting a piece of news print over the primer to soften the ignition of the powder, he maintained it was a must for bottle neck cases as modern primers were to hot and my standard deviations were very low. Every trick to squeeze the last bit of accuracy out.

I don't think ladle pour is needed for prb's in muzzleloaders and one of these days I might switch my Lyman back to bottom pour especially if I start shooting my less than a year old Uberti 1851 navy more. One of those six cavity molds would be nice.

(Notice how I switched the subject back to muzzle loaders:thumb:)

I have a Lee, RCBS, Lyman and a Waage.

I converted all of the bottom pours to ladle pours by removing the mechanisms.

The Waage is the best pot I have personally ever used, it is big with a large opening for the ladle and holds temperature exactly where you set it for very little weight variation in the finished product. I only use it with certified 20:1 alloy for BIG bullets.

It's not cheap but I think it is worth it.

Guess that is where I stand.
All of the above is exactly true.

Back