• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Choosing a melting furnace.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine

does not have a big steel knob like that on top. You said remove it. did you add it? I would think the big heavy weight would help keep the pintle seated.
Remove the steel knob, redrill and tap it to the pintle threads
The new furnaces all come with a big steel knob for lifting the valve instead of the wooden ones. Repurpose it to the pintle and put a wood one on the stud you took it from so you don't get burned working the valve.

Trying to get started casting lead round balls for my T/C Hawken and black powder revolvers. Am sourcing equipment, have bought several molds and a ladel, ordered a Lyman Mag25 from ebay back in December, that never arrived, so got a refund from ebay. Still need something to melt the lead, looking for practical advice on choosing something simple, reliable, and preferably idiot proof, RCBS, Lyman, etc...
Lee makes quality melters at reasonable cost.

Yep, there was a time long ago when I looked down on Lee products. 30-40 years ago their stuff was so cheaply priced I figured it wasn’t any good. Not anymore, while they may not be the best, they remain the only manufacturer that hasn’t priced themselves over the moon.

Back