• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Inspection Scope

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen "bore scopes" advertised, for very affordable prices, that will display an image on a cell phone, tablet, laptop, etc. via USB/miniUSB cable. Some advertise HD video quality but, very few, if any, quote the video clarity at very close distances such as inside the bore of a firearm.
Has anyone tried one of these bore scopes? If so, how did it perform?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used both. The drop-down-the-barrel light works well for 45 cal and up. I ordered an endoscope ($30) to use on a 32 cal I was considering. This one sent the image to my phone. A photographer would say it has a very limited depth of field. Only a small portion of the pix was in focus. I do not know enough about barrels to interpret the images. It showed groves all the way down the barrel and no major rust pits. I think the quality of the scope I bought is poor. It worked several times but not a others.

I like the drop bore light better but the endoscope cane helpful if it works.

For small caliber guns go to a fishing store and pick up a bobber lite for around 2 bucks. These lites are small enough in diameter to fit down a .22 barrel.

I have a Centech digital inspection camera. The bottom of the line model, it only has a 36" cable, so when I'm looking at vintage, reenactor, musket bores (which is why I bought it) I'm still 10" from the breech, though that's closer than looking down from the muzzle. It's also pretty fat and I could not use it on anything smaller than a .69 barrel. They have a much smaller one that is twice the price at $140.00 but it's also only a 3' cable.

LD

I have one of the $12 ebay scopes, it worked great until I bought a new computer with windows 10 which is incompatible with the software.

This picture is of the barrel of a Rice Barreled .54 that I trusted Rem Oil to protect the bore from rust, it didn't. You can see the pitting, this is after I gave it a scrub with everything under the kitchen sink, literally.

The gun was a lousy shooter when I found the rust and a tack driver after being scrubbed out.

Hmmmm, mixed reviews. Thanks for the replies.

I've tried using a small LED flash light with a flexible neck and it works OK for the first couple of inches of the barrel.

I've ordered a "Thill fish light battery" that has a pull-on, push-off light in the end. I'll pick it up in the store Saturday. I'm sure it will work better than the flashlight but, I'd like a closer look at the barrel down deep.

Looking at those available on Amazon, I've found some with a focal length of about 1.5 inches instead of 2 to 6 inches. Prices are right so, I guess it depends on the brand. Some offer HD quality picture.
I've also seen some that are WiFi or blue tooth compatible which could solve the compatibility issue with some devices.
For the price, it's hard to wrong ...and if I don't like it, I can return it.
Still shopping .... There are a BUNCH of different brands and models. :confused:

If I decide to buy one, I'll report my experience here.

Thanks again.

I bought one well over a year ago for $16 from Amazon. I read the directions which were obviously written for a computer programmer. I didn't even understand the computer terms that were used so it's on my desk still waiting to be used. I'm not even sure how to use the accompanying dvd.

You might find the answers about using it on the DVD.

If you plug in the DVD into a drive on your computer and then open your "My Computer", you should see the DVD listed on one of the DVD readers.

Put your mouse cursor over the reader and right click. Then select "Explore". That will show you everything that's on the DVD.

Look for anything that is a text file and open it.

If your lucky there will be some good information about installing and running the program.

I found another way to make it run. All I had to do is right click the shortcut and click "run as administrator" and the program and my bore cam started working. I found this solution while doing a search on the topic.

I too had to log on as administrator too operate the endoscope I bought on amazon.
I was concerned about the ability of fitting the 8.5mm lens down my .36cal but it went down the bore just fine.
I found that I have been doing a very good job of cleaning both my BP rifles with water and ivory soap since the early 70's.
good product for the price now and is usable in many circumstances.

Back