• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bore Butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are correct about deer and scents. I believe that it is the HUMAN scent and not man made scents that deer fear.

Natural Lube 1000 is good, but nothing I have tried beats Falkenberry Juice which is no longer made that I am aware of. I wish it were, and if anyone has used it and knows of it under a different name, I would like to know.

That's one of those things I started out with when I got in to shooting. I now use spit for range time and competition and tallow (Track's Mink Oil or Bear/Deer tallow a friend mixed up for me) for hunting.

I thought Bore Butter worked great. I just wanted to move towards something more traditional as time went on.

I assume Bore Butter is alos made up of some kind of animal fat product as well. It does say "Food Grade" on the side of the tube. I just didn't like the smell. Too modern. :wink:

Funny thing there flintlock,I have a bottle of the Falkenberry juice that my Dad used 30 years ago.He used it,I never did.It was passed onto me after he passed away.I just might have to give it a try.Maybe then,I won't see so many of those white tails that the deer want to show me all the time. :wink:

For the most part I have to agree with Roundball , I"ve used Bore Butter on and off for several years and can"t say its less effective then most other products . Theres little doubt in my mind that deer react to the human smells and the smell of BB dosn"t seem to bother them more than the smell of other gun lubes .Also it has worked for me , as a preservative the main thing is to make certain the metal is DRY . :thumbsup:

Fly said:
How many of you guy's use TC Bore Butter.
Whats your thoughts?
Fly :hmm:
I tried it and sence you ask. IT's over.

1 over avertised
2 over rated.
3 over priced

+1 Saliva is cheap and works for me.In cold weather,Ballistol and water dry patches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Started out using it and used it in several guns over the years with no problem what so ever as a bullet and patch lube only. I stopped using it and switched to using my home made bear grease in 2004 and now have settled on my own mix of bear oil/deer tallow for lube.

As far as the bit of deer smelling the gun, that always amazed me when I hear it. It's like a friend of mine who always worked up to 2 hours before sun down then ran around grabbing his bow and stuff and running to stand to sit till dark. Used to come into the shop complaining he almost had a shot but the deer spooked just before walking under his stand....he used to blame it on his breath. :shocked2: And the cherry cough drop he was sucking on...Yeah thats it! :shake: I'ts your arse you need to worry about people. If a deer can smell your gun, he can smell you.

I have used it but prefer Bear fat & beeswax or other animal/veg fat and beeswax, for rust protection I like light gun oil, it just needs to be removed well before loading I have never bought into the magical mystical properties of bore butter that have been going around for several decadesm I much prefer making my own and making it thinner of thicker as needed, it works for soaking fiber wads as well if one uses them with shot, often if something sticks around long enough it becomes accepted whether it is as good as claimed or not.

While I have a fairly low opinion of the scented bought lube, Most of my deer have been killed using BB, WL1000, etc, as my patch lube and for the very reasons given :redface: . I still have a good supply of patches lubed with it and do not need to think about buying any for a good while. One advantage is that Wonder Lube, Bore Butter doesn't mildew like patches lubed with shortening and lard. Patches can be lubed and stored for a long time until needed. As I've admitted before, it is good lube for deer hunting.

ANY scent that deer arn't used to.. especially during the hunting season (even bow) causes them to be very leary. At least here in Ohio.. :idunno: I've always played the wind..during Bow, shotgun and muzzloading.
As far as the lube goes..I use it only AFTER COMPLETELY drying my barrel, I coat it HEAVY. No rust has ever been in my barrel..I also coat the outside of my barrel as well..Not pushing the product, simply replying to the question.

S.kenton said:
ANY scent that deer arn't used to.. especially during the hunting season (even bow) causes them to be very leary. At least here in Ohio.. :idunno: I've always played the wind..during Bow, shotgun and muzzloading.

I've had deer come up so close to me that I could reach out and touch them, all while smoking a cigarette.

I don't know about Ohio deer, maybe we just have hillbilly deer here! :rotf:

ya know..my Great G-pa, who is long been deceased, used to Deer hunt way up in the U.P. of Michigan. My dad said the very first thing my G-pa would do when he found a good spot to set in the morning, was to start a big fire to keep warm. G-pa would normally come home with a deer or two.. and sometimes even a bear. Here In Ohio, at least where I hunt at, I couldn't ever get away with that..and NEVER smoking. The deer here avoid cigarrete smoke like the plague..at least in my area. Must be a weird Michigan thing.. :grin:

Back