• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bobby Hoyt Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfrommd

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi,

I have one of the unique Lyman GPR 54 percussions that has the 1 in 48 twist barrel. As most know, Investarms is behind in barrel production due to their recall. I was wondering if Bobby Hoyt sells Lyman barrels? I know I can give him a call but didn't want to bother him with a simple question.

TIA

John

I don't know for sure but I doubt if he does, he makes barrels, rebores and rifles old barrels or relines them. I doubt if he is into retail sales of factory products although he could make you a match for your barrel but it would be very expensive. You best option would be to buy a rusted out .50 GPR barrel off ebay and have him bore and rifle it to whatever twist you want.

After I wrote the above message I checked eBay, you can just about buy a complete GPR for what they are asking for a barrel. Their prices are pushing $300, I have seen used GPRs for $350.

We don't have any gunshops in MD or close by PA that stock any side hammers these days. Gunbroker prices for GPR's are in the $500 and up range and barrels are not to be found. I don't feel like buying another (I already have two) and then going through the trouble of selling one. I have developed one load that shoots ok with the .54's current barrel so I guess I'll wait until Investarms starts sending barrels out to the distributors.

I spoke to them yesterday and they won't make a barrel for the Lyman GPR. Maybe they don't want to tread on Investarms toes.

John, is there anything wrong with your barrel that you need a replacement? If so Bobby can bore it out and reline it in whatever caliber and twist you wish. About $125 for the last one he did for me around a year ago.

Yes, I don't hunt anymore and mostly shoot round ball out of my guns. The barrel on this GPR was a freak from the start as it was a 1 in 48 twist with shallow rifling. It was also relieved at the muzzle for easy loading of Great Plains conicals.

I have worked up only one load that is consistent with round ball and it will give me 2 inch groups at 50 yards. The ball starts stripping at 70gns so I haven't been able to make any 100 yard loads.

I want to keep this as a .54 so I figured my only option was to find a new or used round ball barrel.

When you say reline a barrel. Are you saying he can ream and reline in the same caliber? I know he can take 50's and turn them into 54's but assumed he was recutting the barrel. Can he reline this to at round ball .54?

Thanks for your time,

John

Well, they don't now and Investarms is still working on recall barrels and I ain't getting any younger. :rolleyes:

I'll give Mr Hoyt a call and see what his time frame is.
Hawkeye 2 and Eric, thanks for your help.

John

"About $125 for the last one he did for me around a year ago."

I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. The $125 price (+ under $10 shipping each way) was to bore and rifle a barrel in a larger caliber. Having a liner installed will increase the cost but is still a reasonable alternative.

Yes, I don't hunt anymore and mostly shoot round ball out of my guns. The barrel on this GPR was a freak from the start as it was a 1 in 48 twist with shallow rifling. It was also relieved at the muzzle for easy loading of Great Plains conicals.

I have worked up only one load that is consistent with round ball and it will give me 2 inch groups at 50 yards. The ball starts stripping at 70gns so I haven't been able to make any 100 yard loads.

I want to keep this as a .54 so I figured my only option was to find a new or used round ball barrel.

When you say reline a barrel. Are you saying he can ream and reline in the same caliber? I know he can take 50's and turn them into 54's but assumed he was recutting the barrel. Can he reline this to at round ball .54?

Thanks for your time,

John

Bobby Hoyt can do things with barrels that most shooters don't think are possible, in a timely manner and at reasonable prices.
He is a truly gifted individual, and doesn't charge enough for his work, in my opinion.

[QUOTE
He is a truly gifted individual, and doesn't charge enough for his work, in my opinion.
Please don't let him know until I get mine back. :D[/QUOTE]
John,if you want to step down to a .50.I have a like new .50 GPR barrel that I will sell,will save you money shooting.Let me know if interested.Thanks.

When did Investarms change the barrel twist I wonder? Lyman Great Plains Rifles in .54 have always been a 1/60 twist. I think the barrel on the Trade rifle is a 1/48...……...My 1/60 twist 54 had fairly deep rifling...……..Dang

From what I can research, they had some QC issues in '91 and Lyman had to straighten it out. I don't know how many of these off beat barrels were made and I don't know if Lyman issued a recall at the time. Along with the twist being wrong, the machine marks in the grooves are unbelievable while the lands are nice and shiny.

It's an odd duck as it won't shoot the loads my other 1 in 48 Investarms barrels would. It might be the extra 4 to 6 inches of barrel, I don't know. All I know is I only found one load, a 60gn Pyro RS with a .530 ball and .016 patch that shoots well. Even then, it is not as accurate as my T/C .54 Renegade with the same twist.

I spoke to Bobby Hoyt and I am going to have a liner installed in my barrel. I am going to try and drop it off tomorrow and hopefully receive it sometime this summer. He said he currently has about a six week backlog.

Back