• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

boar hunt with pistol was a success !!! lots of pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Outstanding hunting, shooting and terminal performance. You worked hard beforehand, during and after! :thumbsup:

Any sign that famous gristle shield on their chests on the different hogs interfered with any of those assorted bullets? So many different pigs with so many calibers seems like an opportunity to compare. I'm not trying to start a debate with anyone, rather I'm looking for firsthand experience like you now have.

Hi I shot my little porker a little high as they are built different then a deer, I was afraid to aim low were their heart is as I might shoot under it. Your suppose to shot them down back of elbow. I didn't notice any thing when I skinned it, my first time to skin a pig. Wasn't no big deal. The guide could do them quick, but he has done a bunch. I used a TC Cheap Shot and 80grs of 2ff, It was a 42yrd , it when down then got up, went 30yrds and laid down died. Bullet went right thru. The bigger boars might have the shield? Dilly

I didn't notice any crazy shield on it. The grissle on the shoulder was around an inch or a tad more thick. It was definetly tough but not extremely impenetrateable. The cailbers used were 54 roundball, 50 cal cheap shot sabot, 16 guage slug, and 303 british. The farthest shot for any hog was around 45 yards. Both the 16 guage and the 303 where heart shots. The 16 guage hog ran 200 yards. The 303 british completely blew up the heart and made a hole you could fit your fist in.the hog dropped in its tracks. Cheap shot made nice big hole and hog didn't go far. Oviously 54 made very nice big hole and hog only made it 15 yards. All did the job in the end

silent sniper said:
I didn't notice any crazy shield on it. The grissle on the shoulder was around an inch or a tad more thick. It was definetly tough but not extremely impenetrateable. The cailbers used were 54 roundball, 50 cal cheap shot sabot, 16 guage slug, and 303 british. The farthest shot for any hog was around 45 yards. Both the 16 guage and the 303 where heart shots. The 16 guage hog ran 200 yards. The 303 british completely blew up the heart and made a hole you could fit your fist in.the hog dropped in its tracks. Cheap shot made nice big hole and hog didn't go far. Oviously 54 made very nice big hole and hog only made it 15 yards. All did the job in the end

Thanks for the feedback. I killed a whole bunch of them as well as javelina when I was a kid but we were mostly life trapping them, then choosing the ones we wanted and dispatching with a 22 behind the ear while letting the rest go. Not really a test of "hunting" is it!

That was a unique opportunity to have a group of hunters, each shooting something different. Interesting to me that the 16 gauge heart shot ran 200 yards. Must mean the 16 is insufficient for hogs. :bull:

Now the good part comes. Eating all that great meat. Due to diet for sure, they have more and better taste than domestic pig. Kind of like comparing wild with domestic turkey. The domestic seems pretty bland and tasteless in comparison. I'd never buy pig if I had access to the wild, I prefer the taste so much more.

Great job, all of you!

The "Shield" everyone talks about is really the Shoulder blade, which extend back a little further than in other animals, and can be 3/8-1/2 thick on mature boars. I suspect that in very large bores, the blade may get even thicker than that. I just haven't seen one to measure. My last boar went about 250 lbs. and I shot her from behind the front leg's elbow, angleing forward and through both lungs. The bullet missed the near side blade, but smashed against the other( off-shoulder) blade, cracking it in three fractures, while turning the JSP bullet which skidded along the inside of the blade a few inches before coming to a stop against the upper blade. I was pleased with the penetration, and accuracy of the bullet; not so pleased with its performance. I put a second shot in her neck through her spine to kill her instantly, rather than let her suffer as she bled out.

Large older boars, boars are adult males, sows are adult females, Boars have a thick tissue layer from the jowles back to the mid rib cage to protect them during fights for breeding rights. Sows, adult females do not have this tissue. This so called shield is not the shouilder blade, it is a layer of tough fat and gristle protecting the neck and shoulder areas on boars.

It can be very thick, as much as 2 inches but very rarely thicker than that. The fun part is removing this when you are mounting them, dulls a knife real fast.

The "shield" or gristle plate is not bone. It is the bane of bowhunters just the same. It's similar to a callous or scar tissue.

michshield3.jpg

She killed Uncle Herman! (This season's Jacob's Sheep lambs) ;-)

HPIM2412.jpg

Spencer - our wether - has four horns.

Great Pictures, Great Story and great to see a family making memories. :thumbsup:

Wayne/Al

Micanopy said:
Large older boars, boars are adult males, sows are adult females, Boars have a thick tissue layer from the jowles back to the mid rib cage to protect them during fights for breeding rights. Sows, adult females do not have this tissue. This so called shield is not the shouilder blade, it is a layer of tough fat and gristle protecting the neck and shoulder areas on boars.

It can be very thick, as much as 2 inches but very rarely thicker than that. The fun part is removing this when you are mounting them, dulls a knife real fast.

It can also seal up nice and tight when you punch a hole in it lessening any blood trail .

Awesome pics and story!! Congratulations again!! and some spectacular eating!!! I live about 30 minutes from Sunrise acres. beautiful piece of property!!! Very Cool!!

SS,
I figured you would make that hogleg sing! Nice shot and good hunt. Tell that sister of yours nicely done also. Glad you made memories with her!

Chasing Crow

Awesome!!!! Congrats to You and all your family! You all will eat well this winter!!!

Keep up the good work and keep the storries and pictures coming!!!! :thumbsup:

Once again congrats to you & the entire hunting party! Nice story & photos! Thanks for sharing!

Dave

Back