• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blunderbusses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I can't stop buying blunderbusses. It's like Bleeding Gums Murphy and his Faberge Egg addiction.

bb3-1.jpg

Wonder how many Feltwad has :hmm: :grin:

Oh the horror. You need to stop cold turkey. Your first step is to admit you are helpless against your addiction.
Get them out of your house, send them to me.
Then when ever you feel weak call me, and I will talk you in to treatment, you can buy a blunderbuss then send it to me also.
Save your self now.
:rotf:

Wow! That one still has the factory shrink wrap on it!

Very nice. Never owned one but there's something truly pugnacious about them. Looking into that muzzle must just say "this isn't going to end well for you if you stick around."

Ive got one of those Belgiun ones made by Centaure from the seventies,about a two bore,,what a hoot to shoot!

Stumpkiller said:
Wow! That one still has the factory shrink wrap on it!

Very nice. Never owned one but there's something truly pugnacious about them. Looking into that muzzle must just say "this isn't going to end well for you if you stick around."
:haha:

I like them, you keep on going :hatsoff:
As fer FW, why I bet he is researching a response immediately to bless us all with ladles overflowing with the obvious.

B.

spudnut said:
Ive got one of those Belgiun ones made by Centaure from the seventies,about a two bore,,what a hoot to shoot!

I thought the latest one was Belgian. It had MOORE on the lockplate with no initial, usually a clear sign for Fabrique Nationale. I asked the dealer if it had London proofs and he replied that there were 'no proofs on the top of the barrel', which sounded a bit like double speak. Also the touch hole looked out of place and there were few pictures.

Let me try and link to the advert. I know it doesn't look hopeful but I needed a fix... Link :stir:

Anyway, the price was right and despite a couple of minor screw problems it turned out fine and dandy with Birmingham proofs :thumbsup:

The strange unexpected thing you find, when blunderbuss shopping, is that the barrel tang is held down with a woodscrew.

First one I bought I had the horrors when I saw that, thought I had been sold the Afghan version. But they all have it.

Blunderbuss trivia #1 :grin: :thumbsup:

Squire Robin said:
I can't stop buying blunderbusses. It's like Bleeding Gums Murphy and his Faberge Egg addiction.

bb3-1.jpg

Wonder how many Feltwad has :hmm: :grin:
None :( not my line . Restored several :td:
Feltwad

Robin,

Very nice set there!
Now this is odd; I have Only seen blunderbusses with the normal tang nail, not a wood screw.

Only have one myself, and it's a bit older. (John Hall) and he died in 1740. (Yes, it has the normal screw in the tang, not a wood screw)

Brokennock,

You asked about the name;
It comes from Dutch, Donder-busse...."Thunder -gun". Spelled in various ways.

Best,
Richard.

Feltwad said:
None :( not my line . Restored several :td:
Feltwad

So you know all about missing screws...

How do I get the modern screw to fit the antique thread? It does not want to. Is there a trick? :idunno:

bbmoore7.jpg

I pulled the screw from the other bayonet and it was not exactly helpful :hmm:

bbmoore4.jpg

Robin,

Use a thread gauge and determine the TPI, then look at taps, and find the closest.
If you have a screw -plate, you might be lucky and find a suitable thread.
When you find the closest, work it in gently a turn or two, then remove and see what is happening. if all is well, a screw with a slightly different pitch will swage down to the original size.
Also useful to have sets of those two-piece dies, as they can be tightened more than usual for a slightly smaller size, or run somewhat open, for a larger dia. thread.

Good luck, and yes, I know you asked my old friend Feltwad,...but I was here. :)

Richard.

RJDH said:
Now this is odd; I have Only seen blunderbusses with the normal tang nail, not a wood screw.

Hi Richard

I'll show you mine if you show me yours :thumbsup:

Robin

bbmoore8.jpg

OK so what you need is a sort of pack/holster arrangement so that you can carry them around on your back but reach over your dominant hand's shoulder and grab a loaded one..., I'm thinking some sort of round pack basket that has a carrier within that revolves when you remove one, to place the next just over that same shoulder. Sort of flintlock era, steampunk, Wild Wild West contraption. :grin:

LD

I'm impressed; but shouldn't the plural of "blunderbus" be spelled "blunderbi"? :shocked2: :idunno:

FWIW bolt threads in the US weren't standardized until post 1811 after John Hall patented his breech-loading Hall rifle. Threaded bolts from his 1st prototype, never mind 1st model, will fit his firearms from the 1840s.

Mr. Hall was a more ingenious machinist inventor than he was a firearms designer and he also developed the milling machines, balanced power driven (from water wheels) systems, standardized gauging, standardized thread forms and the micrometer that will still use today. He designed these all to make his Hall rifle as the truly interchangeable-parts item made in the world.

In the US, prior to his standardized of gauging AND thread forms, parts may only have been interchangeable with those within the same manufacturing run, such as with Eli Whitney's cotten gin. When those thread dies finally wore out, new ones were made ... but they that may not fit the newest ones ... or the previous batch/run.

Therefore, for that missing bolt on that blunderbuss, it is highly unlikely you'll be able to match that thread ...

Back