• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blueing or Browning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hesp

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm working on a Lyman Great Plains 54 cal percussion rifle kit. After looking on line I see the finished rifle from Lyman comes blued. I have some browning liquid ordered & coming. This rifle is strictly to be a hunting rifle.. Will browning in any way detract from the overall appeal or value of the finished rifle?

I THINK brown looks nicer.
Blue is older then guns and chemical blue was used commonly in the general time frame of a GPR
Browning was also common, while guns left in the white was going out of style.
The only advantage of one over the other is what you like best
Many old guns are brown, but that’s an artifact of their age.
That makes us think brown looks right, when many of the brown guns were blue at one time.

Here is my recently completed GPR in Brown. Polecat

Attachments

• Lyman build 3.JPG
    Lyman build 3.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 107
I THINK brown looks nicer.
Blue is older then guns and chemical blue was used commonly in the general time frame of a GPR
Browning was also common, while guns left in the white was going out of style.
The only advantage of one over the other is what you like best
Many old guns are brown, but that’s an artifact of their age.
That makes us think brown looks right, when many of the brown guns were blue at one time.
agree

You better look at that bluing again for I don't think it is bluing at all -- I think it is that darn new Cerkote (sp) stuff that everyone thinks is so great these days -- which I just hate!!! I don't know if you can get that darn stuff off inorder to brown it.

Back