• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blueing/darkening brass?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtmattison

70 Cal.
Reaction score
How do I go about blueing or darkening a brass ramrod tip?
My rifles furniture is darkened but the tip I have for the rod I am making is shiny brass.
Thanks.

Huntin

Liver of sulphor, comes to mind, available at craft store. Cold blue, Birchwood Casey's brass black. Good old black bowder fouling :: There's more than one way to do it. BJH

i just used birth wood caseys perma blue....just swab it on and wash with water when done....apply it heavy...........bob

I did what bob1961 says but be sure and degrease the heck out of it and it will result in a more uniform dark color.

Burn a tablespoon of bp in a small tin can outside. Wipe the residue from the can onto a wet paper towel and wipe it on the "offending" brass part. Will automatically begin to darken it.

I use an old furniture restorer's trick. Pour some household ammonia in a pan and suspend the parts above the liquid (don't immerse). Cover the pan and leave the brass exposed to the fumes overnight. The parts look 200 years old. I use a little rubbing compound to brighten the parts a bit and add highlights.

It works well on sheet brass, but castings just get a dull look that's quite different from the sheet parts.

Just rub the first dirty patch from the barrel on it when you're cleaning it. It's darken right up.
Make sure there's no laquer or anything on the brass first, of course.

Back