• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowing down the barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We may as well realize this is an issue that everyone will never agree upon.

The opponents argue they are commited to doing everything they can to prevent anyone from accidentally shooting themselves through the head. They believe one accidental discharge while someone's head is over a barrel is one too many. They contend there are safer ways to extinguish embers and soften fouling that do not require placing one's head in front of the barrel. They tend to view the proponents in the same light as people that refuse to wear seat belts in cars and life jackets in boats, smoke while handling gunpowder, drink and drive and take other unnecessary risks. They feel that new muzzleloader shooters often mimic things they see experienced shooters doing because they appear to know the proper way to do it, and that promoting blowing into a barrel puts new shooters at a greater risk than the "experts".

The proponents argue putting their mouth over the end of a muzzleloader barrel is no more dangerous than putting one's hand in front of the barrel. They contend there is no documented evidence of an injury or death related to blowing into the muzzle of a muzzleloader barrel and that proves it is not dangerous. They tend to view the opponents as Range Nazis, doom sayers, and busy bodies. They feel that they are not causing new shooters to place their heads in front of a barrel just because they saw the "experts" do it.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree.

Richard/Ga.

Ya know, it's nice to see that we can have 180 replies to a controversial topic like this and no one on either side of the debate got their feathers ruffled enough to get really obnoxious! A fine bunch of gentlemen, if I do say so myself!
Actually, taken out of the general populace, we all have so much in common here, it's kinda funny to find all the little issues we're divided on!
(Anyway, we all really know that those who "blow" are a bunch of ignorant scumbags!) :winking: :blah: :haha: :rotf: (I am kidding, Moderators!)

Hey! I heard that! :grin: You are right about all of us here having the same interest and that is muzzleloading guns. I enjoy this sight and have gleaned a lot of new friends here and have found some old friends that I have lost contact with over the last decade or so. Everybody be safe and have fun. We made it to five pages without too much childishness. My hat is off to all you guys. :hatsoff:
Keep yer nose ta the wind,
Don

I've completely given up "driving" and I feel safer already. (Anybody want to buy a 2003 Dodge Cummins?) :hmm: :haha:

T-bone

Well Dale, I've made some dumb mistakes in my life, especially back when I was young and dumb and full of well... I still mess up from time to time and will continue as long as I draw a breath. And so will everybody else. I agree with you. We're only human and we can only hope that the mistakes we make, especially with firearms, will be at the most, embarrassing.

There are those who will lead you to believe that they don't make mistakes in this hobby. Some don't even dry-ball! Can you believe that? Well, I can tell you this, if a man tells me he doesn't do something stupid at some point when shooting these things I say he is just starting out and will do it, or he is a bald-faced liar. I've shot BP for over 30 years and I've known others who have done so for more than 60 and by gum, we still mess up now and then! I'm a little scared of a guy that says he doesn't mess up. That tells me that he's not human. He's not of this world! (Shivver) This ain't pointed at you. I agree with you. I'm careful about where I aim my sarcasm. Just like my guns.

Well, since this thread isn't about making mistakes with muzzleloaders, dry balling, double balling, double loading, and I have not heard anyone say they don't make mistakes, I guess the nice simple discussion part is about over.

I also think that much of our ideas about some things comes from our experience. I have been muzzleloading longer than most here, even the thirty year folks, but I have never owned a custom or semi custom. I have always had factory guns. I never started attending public shoots until three years ago either. Most of my muzzleloading was and is something I do alone or with a friend. Seems as if some of you come from just the opposite situation where most of your experiences involve others, even your target work. That does lead to different viewpoints developing. It does not make one side right or wrong. It does make for differences. Some here are at the stage of getting used to dumping that much powder down a barrel and still a little leary of their guns. Some have pushed the envelope to the breaking point and don't even worry about normal loads at all. It makes a big difference if you are from a firearms background or a muzzleloading background. A long time reloader is hard to get calmed down when they first come to muzzleloading.

That we can have discussions about subjects like this at all in a rational fashion speaks volumes.

Runner said:
That we can have discussions about subjects like this at all in a rational fashion speaks volumes.

I agree. I commend all of us for being able to discuss this with some measure of civility. We owe ourselves a round of applause. :applause:

After all, we are only here to share information and ideas; not to "convert" anyone. I think we're doing a pretty good job. :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller said:
Does this mean I get a raise! :grin:

No, I've heard cash flow is down...but Claude is thinking about giving you another million shares of stock in the Forum.

189 replies from "blowing down the barrel, who would have thunk it???

Richard,

You left out one more point of view.

Even if nobody is ever physically injured by this practice, try explaining away even one photo hitting the newspapers, magazines or internet of somebody doing this. Surely you recognize the damage that this can do to our sport. As one who has worked hard for our gun rights and treasures the reputation of the hobby, I oppose this practice in the strongest terms for this reason -- if no other will persuade you.

CS

Hey! how about we all agree that we can blow thru the vent or nipple and all will be happy and noo ne will die and another anal thread can be put to bed?

whiteflag.gif

tg said:
Hey! how about we all agree that we can blow thru the vent or nipple and all will be happy and noo ne will die and another anal thread can be put to bed?

I shot a range session this morning with a .45 Flinter:

I did not blow down the barrel, I did wipe between shots as was zeroing a new Coyote load, only my hand was in front of the muzzle, and I did not dry ball, or no-ball, or double charge, or double ball, or shoot a ramrod downrange, or shoot a short-started ball, or have a kerlatch, or have a flash-in-the-pan, or have a hang fire.

I think that about covers it...50 boringly uneventful shots...just the way they're supposed to be...:winking:...and if I get extremely, extremely lucky, before too long I'll slip a .440 into a Coyote with this rifle...

" only my hand was in front of the muzzle,"

Thank the Lord you did not loose your hand Bill....(VBG)

tg said:
" only my hand was in front of the muzzle,"

Thank the Lord you did not loose your hand Bill....(VBG)

Yeah...since I'm right handed I use my left hand to operate my range rod...always trying to think ahead you know

(or, maybe it's because of the bursitis in my right shoulder :grin: )

"...Thank the Lord you did not loose your hand Bill..."

I GET IT!! :rotf:...Loose your "handbill" :rotf: :grin: :grin: Oh. OK, I'll try to contain myself.... "Handbill"? The one that says "Don't Stick Gunbarrels Into Yur Mouth? Loose your Handbill... Booohahahahahaha :rotf: :redface:

tg said:

Perhaps it's time to say good-night to this thread, it's very long and tedious...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back