• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blowing down barrel after each shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About ten years ago a fellow at a rendezvous I was attending was about to blow down his barrel after firing his shot. Unfortunatly it was a damp or squib load and it chose that moment to finish it's journey down the barrel. The ball entered between his eye and eyelid and traveled around his skull ending up in the back of his head between brain and skull where it was surgically removed. :shocked2: Needless to say I never blow down the barrel of my rifle.

I have come to the conclusion that it is virtually impossibe for me, and most other regular posters on this forum, to blow our brains out. A physical impossibility!

Where's the dead horse icon?

:rotf:

I'm on an office computer. Do I get the impression I shouldn't try googling this? :hmm:

My biggest fear/concern about blowing down the barrel is when a kid sees someone do this, especially a young child...

Look Tommy, I snuck my dad's .357 Magnum out of the house without him knowing it... Cool, I seen my Uncle Musketman do this once, watch me blow down the barrel like he does...

Are we sending a message to the kids that it is safe to put gun barrels in our mouths?

Sure, we know it's not loaded, but what about a child that happens to be at the range with their parent who sees you from the other end of the firing line?

Valid point Musketman. :bow:

I'm yet to understand what anyone blowing down their barrel is trying to achieve.
If it was necessary I'm sure some entreprener somewhere would be making a fortune from selling bits of plastic hose specifically for the task.
:hmm: Maybe there's an opening there.......

Smokey.

Ice Tigre said:
at the risk of starting a debate about loading from the powder horn.... :blah:

I do it. for the theory of blowing out the embers, becaus I load powder directly from the horn, I don't want to have a flash and blow my hand off. :grin:

Gary

:shocked2:

Do you also drink directly from ponds and keep a picture of your mistress next to that of your wife's in your wallet?

Smokey in Oz said:
Valid point Musketman. :bow:

I'm yet to understand what anyone blowing down their barrel is trying to achieve.
If it was necessary I'm sure some entreprener somewhere would be making a fortune from selling bits of plastic hose specifically for the task.
:hmm: Maybe there's an opening there.......

Smokey.

A happy rifle shoots better. :winking:

Why you should not put muzzles in your mouth:

(Does this really need an answer???)

Not doing this is the one thing that the NRA, NMLRA, and I agree upon fully.

Most common Rule 1 is keeping your muzzle pointed in a safe direction -- I doubt that includes your head.

Your Hunter Safety Instructor will be sorely disappointed and will tear up your card.

It serves no purpose that swabbing with a damp patch will not do better.

It won't melt in there and BP residue tastes pretty bad.

Lead is not good for you.

Freud will have shocking things to say about you.

Some of your shooting buddies will say awful things about your preferences. (cleaning of course)

You have enough holes in your head.

You will be kicked off most ranges for doing this.

Our insurance is high enough.

We do not need the very bad publicity Try explaining this image to the press after somebody publicizes a photo of you doing this.

On the other hand, maybe we can find some foolish ML manufacturer who will couple an in-line smokeless ML gun with a mouth friendly muzzle.

You have my apologies in advance for venting over a pet peeve, but your survival and our sport are both important to me.

If you think that there are benefits to blowing into your bore, use some protection. You know, just like they teach the kids in school these days, but in this case, it is a rubber tube that is open at both ends.

CS

Stumpkiller said:
Ice Tigre said:
at the risk of starting a debate about loading from the powder horn.... :blah:

I do it. for the theory of blowing out the embers, becaus I load powder directly from the horn, I don't want to have a flash and blow my hand off. :grin:

Gary

:shocked2:

Do you also drink directly from ponds and keep a picture of your mistress next to that of your wife's in your wallet?
(I've replied to this 2 times in two days and it keeps disipearing :cursing: )

Yes, but I carry a small purifier bottle for the water.
no mistress. morals wouldn't stand it.
no wife yet. with a hobby like this,she'd have to be crazy? :rotf:

to be completely honest I should have said that I have done it, I don't on a regular basis. in fact I haven't done it for two shooting sessions, since I started swabbing between shots, does the same thing and makes it easier to load.

But I don't have any problem with the practice, although I agree that you should be extremely careful about ANY of the things you do while shooting around kids. make sure they understand!

I don't have that problem, as I don't shoot where there are other people, I can't stand the noise and distraction. Or the fact that some idiot might shoot me with one of those new fangled auto loaders. :grin:

And as far as loading from the horn, it has a valve and atached measure. I fill the measure and then pour the powder down the barrel without ever getting the horn in line with the barrel. If it does flash, I'm gonna get burnt no matter what I'm pouring from. I think that the valve being in the way, and an angle to the horn, is suficient protection. (plus the fact that if it did flash I would scream and move my hand and the horn verry quickly!) besides, if I do blow my fingers off,I can join the ranks of people who preach against this practice.

As always; Your Milage May Varry!
Gary
(clarifying my stand on things...)

I wouldn't blow my cannon, but that's just because my mouth ain't big enough :grin:

From the rules and safety regulations of the NMLRA (this would apply to any shoot that said it was being conducted using NMLRA rules)

1090-Blowing Down the Barrel - There will be NO blowing down the barrel of any firearm during NMLRA matches in a mannor that requires placing the head in front of the muzzle. A flexibal blow tube may be used at the shooters option providing that the shooter's head is not placed in front of the barrel.

Now what might be a period correct flexible tube I have no clue. I am just passing on the info.

I have a deep mistrust of rules designed to protect you from yourself. They are usually thought up by lawyers, accountants and busy bodies with no life of their own. They rarely take fun in to consideration :thumbsup:

Squire Robin said:
I have a deep mistrust of rules designed to protect you from yourself. They are usually thought up by lawyers, accountants and busy bodies with no life of their own. They rarely take fun in to consideration :thumbsup:

AMEN!!!! Right on!!!! You got the edge!!!!!! Most folks making the rules aren't real deep thinkers so they don't expect anyone else to be either. :grin:

Squire,
I cant see a lot of fun in dodging a roundball travelling at 1800 feet per second with approx a foot between muzzle and head. Dunno about you but my reaction time just aint up to it these days.... :rotf:
Smokey.

You misunderstand the chain of events. Your supposed to blow down the barrel after the rifle is shot, not while your pulling the trigger. :rotf:

Miki said:
From the rules and safety regulations of the NMLRA (this would apply to any shoot that said it was being conducted using NMLRA rules)

1090-Blowing Down the Barrel - There will be NO blowing down the barrel of any firearm during NMLRA matches in a mannor that requires placing the head in front of the muzzle. A flexibal blow tube may be used at the shooters option providing that the shooter's head is not placed in front of the barrel.

Well, at least they're not peeing down the barrel to clean between shots... :shocked2: :haha:

Squire Robin said:

Gosh. That must have been at one of the double-secret radical splinter Illuminati branch meetings of The Accountants. I never get invited to formulate any laws as part of my accounting functions. Well, I did vote "yes" on the one for making it illegal to marry your own sister and I did mail in my proxy not to repeal the rule about driving around railroad crossing barricades when down. Hope no one minds. :redface:

:grin:

Musketman said:
Miki said:

Well, at least they're not peeing down the barrel to clean between shots... :shocked2: :haha:

Would that be PC or HC? :confused: ..... :rotf:

Cooner54 said:
You misunderstand the chain of events. Your supposed to blow down the barrel after the rifle is shot, not while your pulling the trigger. :rotf:
:rotf: :bow:

Never considered or tried the blowing down the barrel, probably cuz my dad taught me well where gun safety was concerned. To avoid the glowing embers issue Ive always used a spit patch after every round which seems to work...

As to drinking out of ponds direct, well lets just say that giardia sp. and his cronies and I have an understanding. They won't pester me and I'll keep the colorado chilli temp down to a mild roar... :grin:

Keep yer powder dry,
D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back