• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blanket guns, are they worth it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Make a fine pistol with an awkward grip, or to sneak into someone's house or fort.

Better than a teddy bear in your bedroll for things that go bump in the night.

Worthless as a hunting arm unless you're good at sneaking up on bunnies.

None to hc unless in a special condition. Limited to squat as a hunter. Looks neat fun to play with. Compares with a blunderbuss, or three barreled duckfoot or little derringer. I traded mine off years ago...do miss it at times....probably wont get another...maybe :haha:

I am prejudiced because I only buy guns I can use.

I cannot see a use for that gun except as an expensive conversation piece.

I would not consider it even at a much lower price. An unmodified gun would be much more enjoyable to shoot and depending on which gun chosen, could actually be used to hunt, to shoot in competitions or to carry at reenactments. This "blanket" gun would not be a good choice for any use that I can think of. Sorry if you were hoping for a different answer.

What you're looking at is the 18th century equivalent of a sawed down and back shotgun or one of the 1930's Auto Burglar ultra short riot guns. Limited use unless you're guarding a staircase or hunting buffalo from horseback. Never hunted blankets, so I"m only guessing!

nothing less than a conue gun with 13 1/2 pull and 24 in barrel is worth a damn except show.

I wouldn't think it would be worth much as a shooter but, if you have the money and are willing to spend it on a neat conversation piece for your man cave, it is interesting.

Not unless you really want one.I would if I had the cash. Not for hunting

rj morrison said:
nothing less than a conue gun with 13 1/2 pull and 24 in barrel is worth a damn except show.
Hey I need 13 1/2" pull or less. But need at least that the barrel length 12 or 16 not much difference for usage. Make a great rabbit gun but it needs a butt on the shoulder to really be use full passed 20 feet.

I own NFA items and the first I got rid of was a 6 inch 20ga. Talk about useless but at the time I HAD to have it.

Wes/Tex said:
What you're looking at is the 18th century equivalent of a sawed down and back shotgun or one of the 1930's Auto Burglar ultra short riot guns. Limited use unless you're guarding a staircase or hunting buffalo from horseback. Never hunted blankets, so I"m only guessing!
Above this forum is one for folks with big guns. Morters to costal guns. Neat for me to read about or watch, never wanted to own one. Howsomever the people that got them enjoy making smoke. Thats all these are is fun. A trip to disney land with each pull of the trigger. Not much good for nothing...but so are puppies.

Just so you know and are not disappointed, there is no mention of “canoe” guns in the historic record.

The guns used by the Voyageur prior to the F&I war were factory issued, typically what we now refer to a type C and type D French fusils. They had barrel lengths of 36 to 42 + inches.

In the late 18th and 19th century the canoe guns issue to the Voyageur brigades by the Hudson’s Bay Company and their competitors the Northwest Company, which we now referred to as “North West” guns were also of the standard 36 to 42 inch length.

Now all this does not mean that an individual did not cut down their barrel length. Indeed there are many examples of shortened barreled guns in use by Native Americans and others for buffalo hunting and horseback use. 18 to 20 inches seems to be a popular length for these shortened barrels.

However, the “sawed off” shotgun or “canoe” gun was not a factory option in the historic record. The only documentation I could find for a shortened barreled factory order was in the cartridge era, when Well Fargo requested the Ithaca Gun Company shorten their double barreled shotguns from 36” to 32” for use on their stagecoaches.

So in case anyone should ask you about your Canoe gun, you know that the shortened barreled guns that appear in the historic record are done at the request of the owners rather than issued by the gun making factories.

I know some folks who are sticklers on such points; personally I had a friend with a 28” barreled smoothies that I thought was the perfect length for a hunting gun.

I did, and blanket guns a better to me (less work and less overall cost). And let that be a lesson when choosing a gun or a pet go with the gun.

Ditto the above. It would only be practical if you were going to be re-enacting a "fort invasion".

For the money, there are a lot far more effective and intimidating guns to be had. I wouldn't care to meet an intruder on the staircase with any flintlock, no matter the bore size.

And I expect there are guns you want and "need" far more than this one. :wink:

Latest posts

Back