• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Blackpowder preference?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airborne1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
As a newbie to traditional muzzleloaders, I would like to make my first purchase of blackpowder as opposed to a substitute. This must be done online, as I can't get it anywhere around my area. I have found a couple of vendors, some of which require faxing a form before a purchase can be made. I now have a .32 cal Crockett, and soon hope to be getting a Lyman GPR in .54 cal percussion. My question is, in your opinion, what brand of blackpowder should I buy? Regular Goex, Swiss? The Crockett and GPR will both be used for target practice, plinking, and hunting. Your opinions are appreciated, thank you.

Goex for me, been basically a standard in BP for decades. I've shot the more expensive Swiss powder and honestly can't justify the cost to warrant the purchase over Goex. Some will say Swiss may be easier to clean... Well let's face it, BP is dirty regardless of manufacturer. I just actually received my second 25lb order. Again, all Goex! With this topic, again like everything you'll end up getting various opinions and manufacture recommendations, however I'd bet the majority will end up being Goex...

Each powder shoots a little differently and when you are using fixed sights, consistency IS important in your load.

Goex seems to be universally available pretty much all the time.

Like Cynthialee, if I had a reliable source for Swiss I might go that route, but for me Goex is available from a few sources.

And to keep things simple I shoot 3F in all my calibers.

I've used Goex and KiK for real black powder. KiK is lower cost and just as good as Goex...some tests I've read show it's actually better from a power and cleanliness standpoint, but I found no material difference.

I buy in quantity from Powder Inc.

Well, I just made my first actual online purchase a few weeks ago. My dad's shooting club stopped getting in powder like 90% of the shops have. So, unfortunately I had to break down and make it happen. I went with Maine Powder House, after a short scare of zero contact the owner promptly contacted me with an apology. The next day my powder was on the doorstep. I'd certainly purchase from them again. Oh, another member sent me a PM with an individual's information who sells powder, I'll see if I can find that for you.

Been shooting Olde Eynsford for the past year. It is made by Goex. I might be imagining things but it seems to shoot a little cleaner, which is good, :) but no black is clean. Less smoke which is bad :nono:. I like smoke. I was also able to reduce my charges slightly and hold the same zero so I believe it is faster. And yes it is a little higher priced.
I still have some Goex and would have no problem going back to it.
Mine came from Graff & Sons. Service was good.
Take care,
Ed

Any thing from Goex including regular Goex, Jacks Battle Powder or Old Eynsford. Check Powder, Inc, Jacks Powder Keg.

I use Goex since I got a lot older and a shade wiser and quit the subs. I know it won't help you, but there might be some here that would like to know...I get it from the Mountain Man in Colorado Springs.

The only black powder I've used is Olde Eynsford by Goex as I use the same powder for my pistols as I do my rifle so I require a certain level of performance from my revolvers.

Reading what I have from others claims the fouling is reduced by using Olde E over standard Goex, as well as needing a bit less powder to achieve the same performance. At Grafs Olde E is a mere $1/lb more which you'll likely recoup with reduced loads. No reason not to try it from that standpoint.

Maybe you'd want to test two or three powders against each other. Can't hurt.

Graf's is hard to beat in price for a mixed order up to 10 pounds. Powder Inc for 10lbs or more depending on what yer gettin'.

Love the smoke from regular Goex. Schuetzen is good powder, little less smoke. Olde Eynsford is on par with Swiss and have been refilling my powder magazines with it.

colorado clyde said:
Goex, Because it's made in America..... :slap:

I have to respect your buy American pride. I (usually) feel like you with most items. But, America has a long history of importing bp (and guns) from western Europe. I have no issues using European made powders or guns.

since I an lucky and live only 20 min. from a goex distributor that sells in 25 lb. lose kegs. I have used goex for all the years I have been shooting.

You can't go wrong with GOEX, however you might consider trying some Olde Eynsford 3F for your .32. I have been using OE 2F in a .54 with a Sharon barrel, it burns very clean in that rifle, the only one I have had time to really try OE in. My GPR, in .54, likes GOEX FFg, and GOEX is what I use in all my other rifles.

Back