• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BlackMag3 in a Flinter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryFox1

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one useing this BlackMag3 Powder in a Flintlock Rifle?If so,how is it working for you?

I am useing it in my TC Hawken 54Cal Per.And i just love it,it was a bit to work up a load with.But after i got the load work out,i just loved it.

I am going to get me a FlintLock Rifle, and i am just wondering if this same Powder would work OK in a Flinter.What say yall? Have any of yall use it in a Flinter and what kind of results did yall have with it?
Thanks

Larry, if you are going to flint, I wouldn't plan on it working very well if at all. Most of the imitation powders, don't have a high enough flash point to work by themselves. They need real black powder in the prime, and a starter of about 10 grains in the main charge to work proper. Not worth the effort.
Bill

I have shot bp for only 20 years so take this with a grain of salt. Flinters love real BP if you can't get it I don't think the rifle will perform well for you.

Then again I keep finding real BP works better even in some of my modern guns as well, go figure.

I have tried a number of substitute powders in Flintlocks like Black Mag3, APP and Pinnacle. While I will not say that the powders will not work, your best results are when you duplex the load. You need to drop about 5 - 10 grains of Goex down the bore first them load your substitute powder. This was the only way I could get a positive ignition. And it did not work as a pan powder.

to end all this, you want good ignition out of your flintlock, use a real Black Powder. Yes they are not as clean as some of the substitutes, but they have been working for hundreds of years in the flintlock rifles. When something has been working that long, why change?

Back