• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 f will work, but it will create more fouling and that may be an issue in a 32 if one is shooting multiple shots. Also, more powder will be needed to give the same velocity in most cases. I would shoot 2 f in my 32 if that was all I had, but I have more 3 f on hand and use 2 f in my 50 cals. I also use 3 f at times in the 50.

Old Timer 48 said:
I read in other threads that the majority of shooters use 3F in .32 cal.. My question is, why 3f opposed to 2f?
3F burns cleaner and faster regardless of caliber.

Another factor is that if you are using thinner patches, 3F may burn through them.

I use .015 patches and get a little burn through, but the impact on accuracy is nil, just doesn't burn enough of it to matter I suppose. Loading with .018 alleviates this, but they are a tight fit for a long day at the range. I verify the accuracy with them before going hunting with them, but usually stick with .015 when plinking and such.

I have never liked shooting 2F from my rifle. It's much dirtier, leading to having to pick the vent and a long cleaning session.m afterward. It works fine as a primer but it pours a little less fluidly than the finer stuff. Using it in a Bess is a little better. I've not used 3F in that girl yet.

I use FFg in ALL of my MLs .32 thru 12 ga including hand guns. FFFF in the pans.
TC

I use 2F in my .32 caliber flint, main charge and prime, works fine for me.
Does not create more fouling that I worry about.
I do use 3F in my .36 caliber. Shoot what your gun likes.

William Alexander

40 Flint said:
I use FFg in ALL of my MLs .32 thru 12 ga including hand guns. FFFF in the pans.
TC

Spent a lot of time with Wade Inghram,(underhammer pistol maker) he shot 2F
in all his pistols. Ralph Miller taught me to use 7F for priming, what do pistol makers and National Champions know about shooting????

As others have said, 3f is cleaner burning. The small bores such as anything smaller than a .40 cal. generally has a problem with fouling. It is just the nature of the beast for the small bores to be more prone to fouling. Now, if you swab your bore between shots, as I do, you will minimize any fouling problems and 2f will work for you in a small bore. My preferred powder granulation for all of my rifles up through .54 caliber is 3f. I only use 2f in a shotgun. It ain't the only way, it is just my way....it's what works for me. :thumbsup:

Billnpatti said:
As others have said, 3f is cleaner burning. The small bores such as anything smaller than a .40 cal. generally has a problem with fouling. It is just the nature of the beast for the small bores to be more prone to fouling. Now, if you swab your bore between shots, as I do, you will minimize any fouling problems and 2f will work for you in a small bore. My preferred powder granulation for all of my rifles up through .54 caliber is 3f. I only use 2f in a shotgun. It ain't the only way, it is just my way....it's what works for me. :thumbsup:
I do the same but I use 2F in my 58 cal also :v .

I prefer 3F in almost all calibers; but I do often use 2F in my 20ga smoothbore and very occasionally in my .50. Use what you have and try for the most accurate load in your rifle.

Here in the UK this was the most common powder used but this came to halt in 1970 when they stopped production now all black powder comes from Europe
Feltwad
Curtis and Harvey powder Tins

The Curtiss and Harvey powder did come in 4 popular grades ,the Fg was a coarse powder which we used in the big bore fowlers from 4 to 8 .
Feltwad

I use Jacks Battle where ever it works.
Not in the revamped fast twist percussion .458 and .52 bore TC's.
Eh, but I will give it a try in the .52 bore flinter Renegade.

As to the OP's question, whether 2fg or 3fg in small bores really depends on load, twist, barrel length and whim. In a short barrel where the powder may not fully burn before the ball exits the muzzle, 3fg would provide more pressure and burn cleaner. In a longer barrel gun, there may be no difference. Especially if using charges on the heavier side of normal. For a 32 cal a 32 grain charge or higher is probably on the heavy side. I always used an on empty 38 S&W case as my powder measure for 32 cal rifles and I had three over the years. Not sure what the case held.

Latest posts

Back