• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone tried the re-enactor powder ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't see any grade listed for re-enactor powder. Is is 2F or 3F or Both combined? Anyone tried that powder for hunting with roundball ??
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
Instead of buying 3 cans of Re-enactor powder, I changed my order to 3 cans of 3F Goex through Diamond Ammo.. The difference is only about $1.50 a can and the 3F will go off nicely as blank loads and can be used for regular shooting with round ball. This is what I got off of the American Longrifles page from a list member there about re-enactor powder: "Re-enactor powder is basically floorsweeping quality or Chinese fireworks powder. Its meant for people who shoot blanks in re-enactments so nobody cares if it gives uniform ballistics or if it fouls more."
I think it is a better choice not to buy the re-enactor powder and stick with regular BP.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Reenactor powder that comes from shutting powder is formulated for more bang and more smoke at least that is what the powder distributor told me years ago. I used it in my small Canon and was certainly loud and smokey

It's not glazed or polished. Not terribly accurate in rifles but I use a lot of it in shotguns. It is a mixture of sizes.

Reenactor grade powder isn't subjected to the processing to make a sporting grade powder. It will foul the bore quite quickly. It is best for blanks. Powder grade can be from 3F to 1F and It will go bang quite nicely. We go through a lot of Jack's Black Reenacting Grade powder for the reenacting season. We do use it for the cartridge powder for live fire at the Fort de Chartres Winter Rendezvous. We do have a lot of fouling.

Goex "5fa" works great and is very accurate for all range work, woods-walk, and plinking applications. It's an unglazed mix of 2, 3,and 4f powder. I think the 4ffff part really improves its ignition performance in a flintlock, way more reliable than Swiss 3fffg.

Not sure what products are re-packaged as Reenactor, but probably bulk 5fa is one of them.

Only occasion to use my Olde Eynsford/Swiss is when I am hunting elk,..Velocity (recoil) gain is significant with Eynsford and Swiss,.. though it's only worth it for hunting.

Back