• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder revolver for protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not according to the sheriff the states attorney or the feds.
Not a firearm is legally that.
Would I wave it around or carry it somewhere obviously no go.......no same as any pistol.
Would I carry it on my hip in Montana.......absolutely.
I carried a Lyman BP revolver while hunting in Montana. Without thinking, I entered as cafe/bar to eat lunch. I felt a very large and strong hand on my shoulder and heard these words: "It is against the law, in this county, to carry any firearm into a place that serves liquor. I am taking your revolver and you can pick it up at my office, when you leave." He did; I did. Actually, a fine learning experience. 🦨 Polecat

I carried a Lyman BP revolver while hunting in Montana. Without thinking, I entered as cafe/bar to eat lunch. I felt a very large and strong hand on my shoulder and heard these words: "It is against the law, in this county, to carry any firearm into a place that serves liquor. I am taking your revolver and you can pick it up at my office, when you leave." He did; I did. Actually, a fine learning experience. 🦨 Polecat
Sounds about right bars and liquor stores and schools are exclusion zones as are hospitals.

well, I guess living in fear hasn’t the same appeal for me as for you. A person can talk themselves into being afraid of ladybugs if they want to.
odd you should mention it ... my wife knew a woman who hated & feared them ... as if they collectively knew this, she would be subjected to huge swarms of them, while her neighbors where pretty much left alone.

sorry to side- track the thread

lightning will hit someone today but you don’t live underground. we scare ourselves with “what if” to justify wandering around armed so we feel safe. That’s the very definition of living in fear. Most people haven’t the training, restraint, or sense to manage carrying fingernail clippers much less a gun. I haven’t always lived in some idyllic area of crimelessness and have been on 6 of 7 continents (often in dangerous enough places) and never needed a gun (although sinaloa mexico occasionally made me wish for a prc77 to call in arty).

I’m like @cynthialee. I‘m bound by the same agreement

I also have the same agreement with my spouse, so a BP revolver is my EDC, as well.

It is a reasonable compromise with a person who is otherwise anti firearm.
And trust there are some really effective BP answers to the self defense question.
(still want an 8 bore or larger blunderbuss. Figure one of those will clear the deck in a snap.)

People tend to forget that even the sight of a firearm might stop an attack, or make the prospective criminal stop and think. Hesitate enough for you to make a get away. People who think crime happens to the other guy are delusional in today’s society…..

While I’m on the shaky soapbox- it’s EASY for you buff, strong young to middle age guys , you can sometimes bluff your way out of serious situations, but would you deny your weaker wife, or girlfriend a more potent means of protection? Or a handicapped friend? The sad truth is our justice system of catch and release has become the new normal. And bad things happen in rural areas too. As our sheriff told me, until we get there to help, you are ON YOUR OWN…….

Well, I am 91 years old and have been all over the world. My co-workers called me "the walker" as I walked all around new places. I walked for hours at night in Istanbul, Turkey and in many states in the USA, Germany, Italy, France [during a terrorist period], Mexico City at 2:00 A.M. etc.. I was only threatened once. That was by a drunk American in Mexico. I am still comfortable without a weapon anywhere. Only once did I carry a revolver, when I was hired as security for nighttime at a large county fair in Idaho and I carried BP. I do carry a BP revolver while hunting. I think that often, when you carry, you open yourself up to becoming dead. Just my 70 years of travel and recreation including 22 years in the military. Polecat 🦨

71 here, served 37 years in the Army before retirement at 55 in 2007.
Frankly I doubt whether actual carrying a concealed Pistol opens "yourself up to becoming dead". If its concealed and the operator is self-disciplined, tactful and trained how can they be vulnerable ?

Currently here in Australia we're witnessing a widespread surge in violent crime often by repeat offenders, fatalities are becoming routine and people are questioning why we arent allowed an armed self-defence (Other than in our Home, which is legal).
We dont have your 2nd Amendment, but there's a growing number who want it, why any Gun owner entitled to carry but doesnt bother to seems negligent to me. Lets face it, its not only your self protection, but that of others you may come across who are in immediate danger.

If you dont use drugs and don't live in the hood ghetto you won't need a gun. If you have one your more likely to instigate trouble and end up shot. Here in Vermont the only people getting shot are drug dealers and their junkie buyers. Granted if one gets into my home I will blow his brains out.
I've carried concealed for over 30 years, and happily haven't yet drawn a handgun in self-defense. Rather like the Biblical thief in the night, if we knew when the intruder was coming we'd be prepared to "greet" him (her, them, it) But, just as the Biblical proverb indicates, since no one knows the moment of the fateful encounter, we are advised to be vigilant and be prepared. (Being vigilant does not mean being a vigilante) I don't know anyone who carries concealed to "instigate trouble". People carry because they wish to be prepared if they can't avoid or escape trouble. Ultimately, it's a personal choice that's heavily regulated in most states and in the event of a shooting results in the concealed carried permit holder being investigated and possibly indicted. No concealed carry permit holder wants to instigate anything. They simply want to protect themselves and their loved ones.

Last edited:
If you dont use drugs and don't live in the hood ghetto you won't need a gun. If you have one your more likely to instigate trouble and end up shot. Here in Vermont the only people getting shot are drug dealers and their junkie buyers. Granted if one gets into my home I will blow his brains out.
Dumbest post ever.

lightning will hit someone today but you don’t live underground. we scare ourselves with “what if” to justify wandering around armed so we feel safe. That’s the very definition of living in fear. Most people haven’t the training, restraint, or sense to manage carrying fingernail clippers much less a gun. I haven’t always lived in some idyllic area of crimelessness and have been on 6 of 7 continents (often in dangerous enough places) and never needed a gun (although sinaloa mexico occasionally made me wish for a prc77 to call in arty).

Correction; THIS is the dumbest post ever.

I've carried concealed for over 30 years, and happily haven't yet drawn a handgun in self-defense. Rather like the Biblical thief in the night, if we knew when the intruder was coming we'd be prepared to "greet" him (her, them, it) But, just as the Biblical proverb indicates, since no one knows the moment of the fateful encounter, we are advised to be vigilant and be prepared. (Being vigilant does not mean being a vigilante) I don't know anyone who carries concealed to "instigate trouble". People carry because they wish to be prepared if they can't avoid or escape trouble. Ultimately, it's a personal choice that's heavily regulated in most states and in the event of a shooting results in the concealed carried permit holder being investigated and possibly indicted. No concealed carry permit holder wants to instigate anything. They simply want to protect themselves and their loved ones.
Respect. I guess I almost always have access to a truck unmentionable or an old wheel gun loaded with unmentionable. I rarely carry in town or even in our biggest mini city her in Vermont. I feel very fortunate to not need a sidearm . However I don't think our rights to have one if you need should ever be infringed upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back