• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder or Pyrodex

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old thread but since it’s been revived I’ll add my .02

For anyone that only needs a pound or two of BP, it’s easily obtained online from several dealers. Grafts and Sons, and Powder Valley are two of such. With a minimum order of X amount, if it’s more than you need or want, try to find some other traditional ML person and either split the cost or sell whatever you don’t need.

It’s worth it for this ole boy.

Black powder will not let you down and the shelf life will outlive you.

The rumors were that I’ll get flyers when shooting it, that it gives inconsistent accuracy. One other thing, it is loaded the same volume as black powder? I’ve been loading 80 grains, by volume, of Goex FFG in my .50 caliber behind a PRB, and have good accuracy. Would I use same load of Pyrodex? Sorry for my ignorance with this.
When I first started muzzloading back in the 90s, I got my best consistency with Pyrodex in my Lyman Trade Rifle. Ymmv

You have a good idea . The only time I have had a problem with ignition using Pyrodex was when I experimented with firing a few caps to see if it would clear out the oil I used when I last stored my M.L.
I didn;t have good results. If I wipe out the barrel and then shot a cap it worked everytime, so far. I haven't bored out a nipple but Once I noticed a change in my M.L. and found that I had burned out a nipple. I replaced it with a ,"Hot Shot" nipple and it started to shoot like I was used to. I like that you retempered your nipple and now you got me to thinking How long a mild steel nipple would last?
If you are shooting round ball it’ll probably last hundreds if not thousands of shots. Pressure behind a heavy bullet increases dramatically and that pressure erodes the orifice even In hardened steel.

Last edited:
I ain`t looking in the wrong places, no need to look, 1 it is just not there, What I cant find, is $40, + $14 shipping + $25 HazMat for a simple pound that cost is 3 local pick up of pyrodex, Now to get down to it If I ordered by the case NOW $40 X 25= $1000 $14 x 25= $350 + $25 hazmat well I aint hit a lottery, I do not make $40 an hour and $1375 well Couple Mortgage payments, Vehicle Payments, food for the kids, wife, Medical Bills for them or me, so uh um NO now if your so fit and wanna just give me $1375 to get black powder with hey I am cool with it. I will have it "ON TAP" as well.

I ain`t looking in the wrong places, no need to look, 1 it is just not there, What I cant find, is $40, + $14 shipping + $25 HazMat for a simple pound that cost is 3 local pick up of pyrodex, Now to get down to it If I ordered by the case NOW $40 X 25= $1000 $14 x 25= $350 + $25 hazmat well I aint hit a lottery, I do not make $40 an hour and $1375 well Couple Mortgage payments, Vehicle Payments, food for the kids, wife, Medical Bills for them or me, so uh um NO now if your so fit and wanna just give me $1375 to get black powder with hey I am cool with it. I will have it "ON TAP" as well.

Ah, yeah, no, you don't get charged shipping for each individual pound

Powder Valley.....

Goex FFg $27.99 per pound
25 lbs totals out to $759.19 with shipping and hazmat. Nowhere near $1375

If you only want a couple lbs it's $124ish to your door.

Not what it used to be for sure back in the day but be glad Goex is back in production and available.
Screenshot_20240207_195421_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hello All,
I‘ve learned black powder is unavailable here in the Green Bay Area of Wisconsin. Retailers only carry Pyrodex and a few have Triple 7. I have less than 1/2 lb. of Goex powder left and was hoping to buy a can for deer season. I do have a pound of unopened Pyrodex that was given to me, but I’ve never shot the stuff. If I resort to using it, what recommendations does anyone have that I should keep in mind? I’ve heard rumors about accuracy. Thanks for any help you can give.
Accuracy is in the hands of the holder

Well, it just sounds like Black Powder is not a hobby for you to get into then.
There are other hobbies out there; guns that work on fake powder, archery, fishing, crochet, and knitting.

Like Skydiving; Black Powder shooting just ain't for everyone.

BUT, you can also make your own...but that requires $$$ plus Time.

Well, it just sounds like Black Powder is not a hobby for you to get into then.
There are other hobbies out there; guns that work on fake powder, archery, fishing, crochet, and knitting.

Like Skydiving; Black Powder shooting just ain't for everyone.

BUT, you can also make your own...but that requires $$$ plus Time.
We need more of this. Geniuses telling folks not to participate in a dwindling niche hobby so that things can get even more scarce since fewer and fewer are seeking and buying the goods needed. Great job, keep up the good work..............

This IS a niche hobby, and as all hobbies do it has costs. Some guys look for the absolute cheapest way to do things in other hobbies as well.
More power to them, I wish them happiness. I however have never bought or shot a substitute powder, never will because I come at this hobby from an interest in history. If they did not use (insert modern thing-a-ma-bob here) in 1750 I have no interest in using it today.
That being said I probably have enough essential supplies to last me the rest of my life because I have always bought in quantity believing in the buy once cry once philosophy.

We need more of this. Geniuses telling folks not to participate in a dwindling niche hobby so that things can get even more scarce since fewer and fewer are seeking and buying the goods needed. Great job, keep up the good work..............
That's rich!
Nobody has told anyone to "not participate".

I would suggest you go back and read the whole thread.

People complain about powder not being local; we tell them where to get it.
People say they only want one or two pounds; we tell them that is not practical - and it isn't.
People say they can't afford it; well I can't afford a lot of things either. So those activities are clearly Not for me either - hard facts, life just ain't fair.

We give these 'people' all the options possible:
Where to buy it
How to buy it
Suggestions to afford it

Still the whine and cry that they "Can't".....and then their come back is "BUY IT FOR ME SO I CAN PLAY TOO!"

Instead of blasting responses like the last one I just gave, maybe YOU should give the poster YOUR grand response of wisdom that will put some powder in his store...enlighten us all so we ALL can gain from your wisdom.

This IS a niche hobby, and as all hobbies do it has costs. Some guys look for the absolute cheapest way to do things in other hobbies as well.
More power to them, I wish them happiness. I however have never bought or shot a substitute powder, never will because I come at this hobby from an interest in history. If they did not use (insert modern thing-a-ma-bob here) in 1750 I have no interest in using it today.
That being said I probably have enough essential supplies to last me the rest of my life because I have always bought in quantity believing in the buy once cry once philosophy.
"Interest in history"? you don't shoot a real flintlock it is a sustitute the same as pyrodex?

"Interest in history"? you don't shoot a real flintlock it is a sustitute the same as pyrodex?
What in the world are you talking about????

Are my flintlocks not real flintlocks, I need to get in touch with Mr. Kibler and Mr. Chambers and tell them they did not sell me real flintlocks and see what they say about your assertion.

How much have you had to drink today?

Edit, is my black powder not real black powder cause it is not Laflin and Rand but modern Swiss?

What in the world are you talking about????

Are my flintlocks not real flintlocks, I need to get in touch with Mr. Kibler and Mr. Chambers and tell them they did not sell me real flintlocks and see what they say about your assertion.

How much have you had to drink today?

Edit, is my black powder not real black powder cause it is not Laflin and Rand but modern Swiss?
Pyrodex is a relatively new powder not made in the 1700. Your rifle is a relatively new rifle not made in 1700. I don't think it would mind what you used in it. A copy is a copy not the real thing. After getting chewed out I will go and have that drink you accused me of having earlier. I'll do you one better I will also have one for you as well. Now I have heard it all.

I shot Pyrodex in my percussion long rifle and pistol when I lived in Berlin, and BP was classed as 'war materiel' that we could not hold in Berlin under the terms of the Four Power Agreement.

As soon as I got back to UK in early '84 I bought all the real thing I could reasonably afford, keeping it at the dealers since I lived in a BOQ.

Pyrodex is a relatively new powder not made in the 1700. Your rifle is a relatively new rifle not made in 1700. I don't think it would mind what you used in it. A copy is a copy not the real thing. After getting chewed out I will go and have that drink you accused me of having earlier. I'll do you one better I will also have one for you as well. Now I have heard it all.
My guns are the same as they used in the 1700's and my powder is the same as they used in the 1700's

And I mind what I use, not a real flintlock indeed, but you just keep on stepping in it.

My guns are the same as they used in the 1700's and my powder is the same as they used in the 1700's

And I mind what I use, not a real flintlock indeed, but you just keep on stepping in it.
Your gun is new and so is pyrodex. I rest my case and you would do well to think before you speak. I have nothing against you, black powder or what ever type of rifle you choose to shoot. I find it a little imature to worry about something you have no control of.

Back