• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Black powder in AZ

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Heap

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyoone know where to get it here? I want the original stuff. I've heard Goex is also good?
I was told Bass Pro had it, they don't. Matter of fact they carry little BP stuff, and only for their inline rifles, they don't even sell traditional guns anymore either. I've given up on that bunch. Cabelas is a long ways away, but am going to have to start going there to get supplies.

I buy everything I use online. It's usually cheaper, especially powder, and you don't have to go get it or find it, and the selection is un- match able by any number of given stores.

If you live in the Phoenix/Glendale/Mesa area to to Thunderbird Cartridge company.
They are out in Laveen way out on the West side down on Southern Ave.
http://www.tbirdammostore.com/

They ask that you call them to tell them the powder you want and how much so they can get it out of their powder locker.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a goex distributer in Roswell, NM I live in Albuquerque, and I do not use him, he aske you buy a case of 25 lbs, and all one grade. I order from a guy in virginia he will sell any amount in any grade I usually buy a case at a time from him and mix it ffg and fffg. since you can only possess 50 lbs I wait till I get down to 10 lbs or so before I order so I do not have to "inventory" all my horns and flasks and stay under the 50 lb limit. even with the hazmat fee, he is way cheaper than any other source I have found

The Bass Pro here carries the Goex BP brand. You have to ask the manager about it because the normal employees don't know they carry it. It's something of a secret to most of their staff.

I've bought it at Bass Pro numerous times. I've actually asked the gun counter guys about their selling BP and they said "nope, we don't carry that stuff", but I went over to the store manager or the one guy who works behind the archery counter and they both said "what type do you need?".

First of all, Bass Pro doesn't carry it in Mesa, AZ. I was there a couple of days ago, and asked and was told they don't carry it. All they carry now is the inline rifles, no traditional stuff.
I sure appreciate the information on the Thunderbird Cartridge company. I'll have to call them and ask them to get some out for me. Shore appreciate the help guys. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Yes, you have to ask the right person and not just a sales guy. Ask the manager of the store. Or the manager of the hunting department. Most of the other staff members don't know they carry BP and will tell you no.

I know this first hand. I bought BP from the local Bass Pro on two occasions and on the third trip I asked a guy at the gun counter if he could go back and get me another pound of BP. He said "we don't sell black powder" and was darn sure of himself. I asked the manager if they stopped selling BP and he said no they have plenty and asked me what I needed. It's too bad they don't share the information with the guys in the gun department. They really should. They are doing themselves a huge disservice.

canyon said:
First of all, Bass Pro doesn't carry it in Mesa, AZ. I was there a couple of days ago, and asked and was told they don't carry it. All they carry now is the inline rifles, no traditional stuff.
I sure appreciate the information on the Thunderbird Cartridge company. I'll have to call them and ask them to get some out for me. Shore appreciate the help guys. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I've given up on Bass Pro in Mesa. I've read of folks in other states telling about how you need to ferret out the Big Manager & that everyone else behind the counters are dumb as a box of rocks. I've spoken to the counter staff, the Gun Dpt. Mgr., the Inventory lady, and the store manager & they all swear they don't carry black powder and don't have a powder magazine to store it in. If anyone had experience to the contrary, I want the name of the guy at the Mesa store who knows where the secret stash is.

Zonie said:
If you live in the Phoenix/Glendale/Mesa area to to Thunderbird Cartridge company.
They are out in Laveen way out on the West side down on Southern Ave.
http://www.tbirdammostore.com/

They ask that you call them to tell them the powder you want and how much so they can get it out of their powder locker.

Just heard about this place last weekend from an old couple who were shooting a matching pair of flintlock pistols - Until this moment, the only place I knew about was Thunderstick Trading Co in Tucson.

Just read their hours on the website: Closed Monday, and only open Tues-Fri. Makes it tough for those of us who still work weekday hours. Guess they're not gonna be all that convenient after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Khufu said:
I order from a guy in virginia he will sell any amount in any grade I usually buy a case at a time from him and mix it ffg and fffg.
Out of curiosity, who is this and do they have a website? My unit usually orders through Jack's Powder Keg, but it has to be a case of a single granulation. Since we have folks who live fire, being able to get a case of mixed granulation would be useful.

Thanks,
Calum

I do not remember the name, I have him in my phone book as "Black Powder" but his number is (540)888-3349. they are super flexible and the price per pound delivered with hazmat is always less than any other place I have found (assuming you buy a whole 25lb case). nice being able to mix and match at low prices. he is a great resource if you burn a lot of charcoal.

"It's too bad they don't share the information with the guys in the gun department. They really should. They are doing themselves a huge disservice".

No advertising to speak of, locked up and hidden in the back, and only the manager knows the big secret.....I've always wondered whats up with that phenomenon. It's almost like it's illegal for any other employee except for the manager to know that they actually stock and sell the stuff. Really strange indeed. :idunno:

Calum said:
Khufu said:
I order from a guy in virginia he will sell any amount in any grade I usually buy a case at a time from him and mix it ffg and fffg.
Out of curiosity, who is this and do they have a website? My unit usually orders through Jack's Powder Keg, but it has to be a case of a single granulation. Since we have folks who live fire, being able to get a case of mixed granulation would be useful.
Thanks,
Calum

Back Creek Gun Shop Inc is located at the address 863 Chestnut Grove Rd in Winchester, Virginia 22603. They can be contacted via phone at (540) 888-3349
They do have a website but you must call in your order.

Back