• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

black powder fouling and petroleum lubes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't have a problem-great. If you are cleaning the bore and the patches are brown- some folks think it is rust but usually it is the aforementioned tar. Once the bore is tar free- in the future run a few patches soaked in rubbing alcohol down the bore to remove any oil before a day of shooting. That has worked for me but obviously others have difference experiences. No harm to try.

Well actually, Synthetic, Full synthetic, and 100% synthetic are all made with petroleum products, it just depends on the amount of refining and additives blended into the base.

All that doesn't matter a whit really. We aren't concerned with "oil". I've never heard of anyone lubeing bullets with oil. Likewise, you wouldn't fill the frame with oil, it'd run out!! GREASE!!! We're talking grease!!!
Actually, we might be talking oil as well. No, bullets don't need oil, but you CAN oil patches. I've used olive oil and spray-on cooking sprays.

Actually, we might be talking oil as well. No, bullets don't need oil, but you CAN oil patches. I've used olive oil and spray-on cooking sprays.

Well you are quite right, oily patches are great for chambers and barrels as well as a general wipe down of the revolver. I'm not sure I'd use any wt. engine oil for that but that's a personal thing I reckon. I've used Ballistol for that purpose for many many years. Since we tend to handle our revolvers on the outside more than the inside, I'll stick with grease inside and oil outside ( grease on the arbors/ pins as well).

Mike

Back