• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bison Powder Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took advantage of the Crazy Crow Buffalo horn sale and here is what they sent.
I placed the order in the evening and Crazy Crow shipped the horns the next day via Fed Ex.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I've been distracted and have made no progress. The only thing I've done is purchase a chuck for my wood lathe so I can turn a cone for a form and a plug. I have no excuses for the stall.

As to where I got the horns, my father in law got them and I have no idea where.

I've been distracted and have made no progress. The only thing I've done is purchase a chuck for my wood lathe so I can turn a cone for a form and a plug. I have no excuses for the stall.

As to where I got the horns, my father in law got them and I have no idea where.
Luckily it will wait until you find the time.

I.m glad you like it and your results show you do very well with bison. The one time I tried to make a bison horn I found the horn to be almost all 'horn' with a very tiny cavity. Not workable at all and heavy. For me, never again.
I had one like that, but the other horns I sourced locally from the abattoir was real nice. turned out good too.

Attachments

• Buffalo powderhorn.jpeg
    Buffalo powderhorn.jpeg
    432 KB · Views: 0
I finally did something! I turned the cone for forming the horn. The idea is to heat the horn in vegetable oil, then force it onto the cone to make it as round as possible. Then turn the plug. I have some well seasoned walnut for the plug. I'll be going for a beehive shaped plug.

The horn is cooling on the cone.

20240329_092124.jpg
20240329_092226.jpg
20240329_093557.jpg

I used old veggie oil. I keep a bottle of it around for projects and for starting charcoal fires. Heated it to 300F and dipped the big end of the horn in it for a minute or so, then jammed it onto the cone. It is cooling now. Once it does, I will be able to get good measurements for the plug.

Back