• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Game Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enclosed are images of a big game rifle by William Powel & Son which maybe of interest to members Built in the middle percussion era and only two of this type built by Powell it is four groove rifle octangle barrel , 40 inches long and 52 calibre. It also features a flat top rib sighting plain marked in gold at one inch interfolds and eight folding leaf sights
FeltwadView attachment 282381View attachment 282382View attachment 282383
thats very nice

Enclosed are images of a big game rifle by William Powel & Son which maybe of interest to members Built in the middle percussion era and only two of this type built by Powell it is four groove rifle octangle barrel , 40 inches long and 52 calibre. It also features a flat top rib sighting plain marked in gold at one inch interfolds and eight folding leaf sights
FeltwadView attachment 282381View attachment 282382View attachment 282383
That is one of the finest examples I've seen Feltwad !!!
Unbelievable rear sight arrangement, the unusual trigger guard resembles one on a big bore percussion English sporting rifle built by Staudenmier for tiger hunting.
You mentioned the deer rifle it was the fitting on the barrel muzzle which caused a lot of interest , most said it was a fitting for a bayonet even one member of these foru.ms said it was a poachers gun and the fitting was for a flash light . Personally I still believe it was a fitting for a stick rest because this gun was muzzle heavy
Getting back to the gun in the forum which I believe was used in Africa and India I have enclosed three images of the sighting along the broad rib which I believe is the elevation of the muzzle for distance
First image shows the wide open solid back sight with the leaf sights down
Second and third image shows the sighting rib marked of at 1inch interfiles
When the leaf sights are flat and you sight along the barrel all you see is the extra wide back sight and the fore sight on raising the muzzle you can the set the back sight on any of the inch markings of the sighting plain just by lifting the muzzle up or down thus giving you elevation on different shots .That is my explanation on the sighting rib but I may be wrong and are open to suggestions
When I first entered this thread I said the barrel was 40 inches my typing mistake it is 30 inches
Feltwad
View attachment 282954View attachment 282955View attachment 282956

Amazing rifle Feltwad !
Over the past 5-6 decades I've collected & shot primarily original English & European flint & percussion firearms because of their quality & accuracy.
Do you think this rifle was designed to shoot PRB or slugs ?
Some of the 2 & 4 groove rifles I've fired were designed to shoot close fitting rifled cast slugs.
Relic shooter

Amazing rifle Feltwad !
Over the past 5-6 decades I've collected & shot primarily original English & European flint & percussion firearms because of their quality & accuracy.
Do you think this rifle was designed to shoot PRB or slugs ?
Some of the 2 & 4 groove rifles I've fired were designed to shoot close fitting rifled cast slugs.
Relic shooter
I would have thought both but a 52 cal bullet would be more appropriate.
Feltwad

I would have thought both but a 52 cal bullet would be more appropriate.
Feltwad
Was just curious, as you know some of these oddities can be hair pullers.
The English 2-groove rifle I had produced erratic groups with both tightly fitted PRB loads & hollow based slugs both bare & patched.
Think the problem was skidding due to the shallow depth rifling.
Betting when the rifle was sold new it likely came with a mold that cast fitted rifled slugs ?
Relic shooter

Back