• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Big Game Failures?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This year was the same for me, could only hunt the late muzzleloader season here in PA due to work constraints. The late season is preferred cause I love to hunt with my flintlock .54 cal and not have to wear any blaze orange while hunting! Had 3 opportunities and managed to flub them all!

First miscue, on a very cold (6 degree) evening sitting in an elevated metal tree stand I spotted 3 deer coming thru the pines toward me. This gave me time to get my gun up or so I thought. When I moved my hand along the stock in preparation to lifting the gun that old doe spotted the slight movement and froze behind the last pine tree giving her cover. The pine tree covered her entire body except there was a hole where she could see me...we both froze...minutes passed till she had enough and decided to trot off. By the time I could raise the gun the only shot I had was at the last yearling trotting off thru an opening and I decided to take the shot...thank God it was a clean miss...yeah I know...but in the heat of the moment bad choices are made! DANG IT!

Second miscue, same stand only this time I had put up some camo burlap around stand to help cover any movement by me that might spook deer! Another 6 degree evening found me hunting till near dark ( have I mentioned how cold it was...and windy to boot) wind chill was 10 degrees below zero. Just at last light I can see deer legs coming thru the pines, only this time from the opposite direction into the opening they came. This gave me plenty of time to get my hammer cocked and the set trigger engaged, also was able to get the gun up and fully rested on the front shooting rail. Leading the way was a big doe she slowly walked into the opening and stopped in plain view only 40 yards distance...she was as good as dead! Lowered my head to the stock and took careful aim...bead was dead center on her chest...I touched the trigger and gun did not go off...but sounded strange...as I glanced at the hammer I saw that I had forgot to take off the frizzen cover...DANG IT! Flipped off the cover closed the frizzen and re-cocked the hammer and set trigger...now she's mine. She had moved off a tad (60 yds) and I slowly touched off my second attempt at her. Naturally they all ran off and I could not find any blood wear she was standing...came back the next morning (-1 degrees ) to further my search and found the reason for missing...1/2 inch pine branch deflected ball low under her chest...DANG IT!

Third and last miscue, was posted on a two man deer drive. My cousin was driving another set of pines and it worked to perfection. Four doe working their way right to me and have no clue danger was lurking near-by! I got em now..hammer cocked...set trigger engaged...frizzen cover off...dead deer walking! Waited till she was only 25 yds away before making my move..as her head went behind a large maple tree I tracked her with my front sight. Just as she was stepping out from behind the tree as I was moving the front sight from the tree the gun went off totally unexpectedly. Must have had to much pressure on the trigger and being set to hair it went off before sight was on the deer (did I mention it was only 4 degrees out)! Took a nice chunk of maple, but no hair, blood, or any sign of hitting her...DANG IT!

Any how, that's how my season ended. No meat on the pole but the way I look at it very successful in many ways. Saw lots of deer, had shooting opportunities, and the gun never failed to fire! I'm a happy hunter! :grin:

when pulling the set trigger i always got that little voice talking to me. it always reminds me what happened one day when one of my brother-in-laws pulled the front trigger thinking it was the set trigger before he was on target. it like to have broke his nose. I always wear hunter orange during deer season even if at work, my work place is in the woods 90% of the time. The only way you can deer hunt and not wear blaze orange in mississippi is to be inside a shooting house, once you get inside you can take it off.

hey,there is always next year! sounds like you had a good time. we were lucky here in PA and had perfect weather the last week of the season. the evening i shot mine, it was 8 degrees, 20-25 mph winds and snowing like crazy. awesome flintlock weather!

Each season I ask the gods of the hunt for but one thing...to have ONE good opportunity. Then it's up to me to capitalize or fail and no matter which one, I got my wish and am happy. You have the right attitude despite not putting venison in the freezer. :thumbsup:

Also being from a Northern very cold climate, I NEVER use the set trigger when deer hunting. My deer rifles must have a front trigger with a crisp and reasonably light pull all by themselves. Just too darned risky with a 1 oz trigger and gloves...even the light cotton gloves I use under heavy mitts that come off before a shot...IMO.

Greatly enjoyed your post and I also appreciate that we don't have to wear blaze orange in the late season. Started hunting with a flintlock in '79 and have experienced the same events myself over the years. Better luck next year.

Sounds like what happened to my nephew. Had two mis fires and was within 20yds. of a big buck and couldn't take the shot. He goes to college there at Slippery Rock. Dan.

I've hunted PA flint since the first season (I think it was '75). Got my first deer with the flintlock last year! Lots of flashes-in-the-pan, "clacks", and intervening brush etc. But never a set trigger mishap - I don't have any on my guns, wouldn't trust them in the field.

Sounds like you had a great season, seeing deer and getting shots.

I agree about the orange - I sometimes wear a knit cap as a concession to the shotgunners here in Allegheny County.

I have yet to get out - sickness and family matters. Saturday a week, will hopefully be my day. I did get a small doe opening day to take the pressure off.

Also being from a Northern very cold climate, I NEVER use the set trigger when deer hunting.

Aye, that! The only time I use the set trigger is at the bench, and only in warm weather. Kodiak13, I appreciate what it takes to stay on the hunt in weather like that; My friends won't go out with me in that cold and my wife thinks I'm crazy! She's probably right................But, she's been a good woman to have around for the last 38 years.........And, she still has all her teeth.......I'm rambling again, aren't I?

Gotta ask if you were wearing gloves in all that cold weather. Even at the range and no deerfever, I have trouble controlling a light set trigger with gloves.

That's why I have all my guns tuned for good triggers without setting the rear trigger. I need to be able to feel that trigger even with gloves.

I doubt there's any problem from cold with your gun. There's certainly a problem from cold with fingers.

Your experiences so expertly written held my attention right to the end. Must add this advice though....don't use a frizzen cover nor a DST. Of course through the years I've managed "to screw up" and I don't even use either of the above contrivances...Thanks for your interesting post.....Fred

Good stories, Kodiak. I enjoyed reading them. This is our version of "reality TV", I guess. I can't help but think that the BITTER cold played a role in your mis-adventures. I think it changes our thinking, reason, and movements. In fact, I'm sure it does.

Kodiak my last two seasons have been full of miscues too! Two years ago, not only did I shoot at a deer with the hammer stall on, but I missed a buck at about 10 yards because I yanked the trigger and shot right over his back.

This year, I missed a spike that was just as close. He surprised me and I got all flustered and didn't take careful aim. It was a clean miss.

So I named my rifle Amy. You know as a reminder to AIM ME.

Thanks for the stories, I enjoyed reading them.

I was hunting rabbits in an Amish family woods, along with my youngest son. We were carrying modern shotguns, loaded with #6 lead shot. We had just stepped into the woods, out of a hay field, when we kicked up 6 whitetail does and an 8 point buck. I saw them run about 20 yards into the hay field, and drop down into a shallow depression, and crawl across the field, to a road, where they jumped up and ran into another woods. We finished our hunt and I told my son that we would give them 4 or 5 days to settle down, then go back for the deer.

The plan was to have my son cross the fence, with his shotgun, and walk to where we had kicked up the deer, while I walked down the fence line and hunker down against the kudzu, for cover, with my .50 caliber hawken. I was about 20 yards from where I had seen them go into the depression when I heard them coming. This time, instead of going back to the depression, they cam running right down the fence line towards me, and almost ran me over. Of course, my shot went into the ground at my feet.........Robin :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
My flub was a few years ago when elk hunting in Colorado. I use an old Ithaca Hawken percussion rifle and had put a new nipple in it before coming on the hunt. On the third day of the hunt I was sitting watching a small meadow on top of a ridge where there was considerable elk sign. I heard a crashing through the brush on my right and a small bull came into the meadow about thirty yards from where I sat. I raised the gun and fired but only the cap went off. The elk obligingly just stood there while I recapped and again just the cap went off and not the powder charge. The elk sauntered off leaving me to ponder what had gone wrong. Inspecting the nipple I saw nothing wrong, there was light if you looked through it. I took my old one out of the bag and held them side by side. The new nipple was considerably longer than the old one on the part that threads into the snail. So long in fact that it bottomed out and prevented the fire from getting out of the nipple and into the powder. That was a few years back but I am still mad about it. :cursing:

Many years ago I was setting in my tree stand when a nice buck head was moving through the weeds. I aimed my 50cal BP rifle between the eyes squeezed off the shot a lot of white smoke from the Pyrodex RS but no Buck. How could I have missed from 20 yards or less I climbed out of the tree stand walked over to where I shot at the Buck and found a nice round ball hole in a branch and a furrow in the ground you could have planted corn in. So much for a Buck that year.

Early ML season in PA this year. Second Saturday. Been scouting the area for a few months, I knew there was a spike buck and a few doe. I had seen the spike the first weekend, and just watched him feed.

Second saturday, nice doe walks into my zone, 20 yards from me - right where I knew they would come in. Aim, click, flash. nothing. Doe ran out.

I had left my rifle with a ball in the tube in my truck for the week between hunts. Barrel sweated. Powder was wet. Rifle no go bang.

I had to pull the vent, scrape out all the bad powder, push new powder in before I could get the rifle to fire.

Live and learn. I always pull the ball if the day is not productive now.

Zach

Wow is this my first post in this thread?, swore i'd already told this tale here... :youcrazy:

3 years ago, opening day of muzzleloader season. I have my not so trusty 2nd edition of the T\C WMC in my hands. I'd spent 3 or 4 sessions of trying to find a load the dam**d thing liked..was trying to recreate the rifle of my youth when i'd bought this model in my hands...sold the first one because i couldn't hit anything with it...

So there i sit and about 8am i see movement to my left. I turn slightly and am amazed to see the first Big Buck i've ever seen while hunting. He moseyed up the draw to the opening where the field starts, i slowly raise the White Mountain Carbine to the shooting position and actually sight on the moving deer, He's a solid 10 point and looks like a racehorse, every muscle rippling and twice the size of the does i normally see. I don't get buck fever but rather i quietly cock the TC, then resight on the big deer. - think to myself " You're about to kill this deer :bow: "

The buck walks out in an open field and turns his head away from me at only about 30 yards. I'd found a load that was ok in the WMC, 90gr and a 385 gr. slug. I KNEW i had that buck. I sighted and pulled the trigger. Never felt the recoil and the smoke covered my target. I KNEW when the smoke cleared there would be a dead deer or a slightly kicking one. The smoke cleared and...nothing was there. I climbed outta the stand and walked out to the spot the deer was standing..nothing. I spent the next two hours searching for blood, hair, anything...nothing but some deep hoofmarks of a buck in the rut making fast tracks.

Eventually i shot the rifle and hit a solid foot low of my target, a stump. I shot 2 more times and made a nice group..albeit one that was a foot low. Something had gone way wrong and i'm not over it yet. I sold the rifle almost immediately..the 3 holes in the stump are still there and every time i walk the trail past them i remember when i ALMOST shot the biggest buck i've ever seen. True story. .J

Two this year alone.
#1- I brought my .45 flinter with 42" barrel for opening day of muzzleloading season. I never used it in the field before. At 10:15 a 7 point stopped 40 yards from me . I shot offhand as there was no rest available in that direction. I had a hang fire and by the time the main charge went off, the long, heavy barrel had sagged down and the shot went under his chest.

#2- I messed up my knee so I couldn't walk far. I went to the parking area of a WMA and made it ~200 yards before building a ground blind out of palmettos. After a doe and fawn walked past, I was sure I was hidden. A large 8 point trotted up and surprised me causing me to react by raising my percussion gun (gave up on the flinter). He spotted the movement, whirled around and ran into thick stuff with a tree between me and his butt.

It's a good thing I had killed 2 does before or I'd be skunked. :redface:

Kodiak13 I have had my share of blunders but they have never been with double set triggers.They are what I started with years ago.Get you a small bore and take up squirrel huntin and you can double your time in the woods and learn how all this stuff works.

What I do and have taught my kids to do is keep your trigger finger on the out side of the guard until your ready to shot then follow to the inside then just touch the trigger.I know is sounds silly tellin how to use them but alot of folks seam to have trouble with somethin so simple as hair triggers .I wear lite weight gloves even in the coldest weather ,you just have to put in the time in the woods and it all comes 2nd nature.

Double set triggers have been around for a long time because they work so well but I understand why some dont like them and thats fine too ,as I have single triggers rifles but they have very lite pulls also.I think we can learn to use them all if we want to. Switcin to flint from percussion was as easy as fallin out of a tree for me so dont let that scare anyone.If I can learn it anyone can.Just keep goin and learin. If its real cold just hunt on the ground and you might be surprised how many deer you see. The main thing to keep in mind is your scent,a little movement dont hurt as bad as your strange smeels. Curt

Back