Big Cannon Made In India

Discussion in 'Cannon' started by Zonie, Dec 13, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2016 #21

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'd also think they would have to time that into an enemies advancement as well to get it just right.

2. Jan 11, 2016 #22

Gene L

Gene L

Gene L

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

For barking elephants.

3. Jan 13, 2016 #23

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Wrong... Dinosaurs, science lied all these years... The extinction was a direct result from the aftermath of this cannon. :grin:

Okay, maybe a little over the top!

4. Jan 13, 2016 #24

Canute Rex

Canute Rex

Canute Rex

40 Cal.

I've never heard of an elephant barking. (rimshot)

But as to the noise, a friend of mine reported being near a 24 pounder being fired at a historic fort in Canada. Everyone nearby was supposed to plug their ears and open their mouths. He didn't get his fingers in his ears in time. He said it was like getting hit in the chest with something padded and then a high pitched whine. He didn't even hear it as a boom.

I can imagine the ancient equivalent of the king's PR man exaggerating the impact of the big cannon and people happily repeating and embellishing the stories. "He was standing too near and the shock squeezed the eyes right out of his head!" "Just the wind of the ball traveling overhead knocked over a dozen draft horses!" Write your own.

I can also imagine a conversation with the original gunner that shot this thing. "People tell me you were the guy who lit off the big cannon." "Who bit off a pig banner?" "No, you shot the big gun, right? "Rot the wig bun fight?" "Never mind."

Then again, considering the sometimes dramatic failures of artillery pieces back in the day, the gunner would have to have been a brave man. At Fort Ticonderoga there is half of a bronze howitzer, split roughly lengthwise, that archeologists recovered from the lake nearby. It was the top half, and it must have traveled a few hundred feet before splashing down.

5. Jan 20, 2016 #25

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

:rotf:

Canute,

You have a truly Stirling sense of humour!

Gus