• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help ID a Naval Cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selair_chapman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy
I'm in the market for a full scale historical or repro cannon in Canada and was provided these pictures by a prospective seller. I am assuming this is a reproduction but really know nothing about it. I take it from the 3" bore that it's a 4lb. Anyone recognize the pattern or design. I don't see a sleeve ring. The current owner purchased it in North Carolina and believes it came off a "boat". Otherwise he knows nothing about it. I am waiting for pics of any markings but none seem to jump out. He has shot it, he says

Attachments

• IMG_72031.jpg
    IMG_72031.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_72011.jpg
    IMG_72011.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_71991.jpg
    IMG_71991.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_71971.jpg
    IMG_71971.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_71981.jpg
    IMG_71981.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_72001.jpg
    IMG_72001.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_72021.jpg
    IMG_72021.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_72041.jpg
    IMG_72041.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 0
Many thanks all. Yes I do think I see the sleeve now. Looks like paint is obscuring the details but there is a definite ring of rust a concentric distance from the bore down low on the last pic. I will email the referenced individual to see if he may know more.
Cheers all

Please get back to us with what you find out.

I say it's a repo of a heavier gun. It's designed to make noise and smoke for demonstrations and little else.

Well, I took a chance and bought it. After hauling it 1/4 way across the continent, rebuilding the carriage and stripping some paint off the barrel I found the maker mark "SO BEND REPLICAS INC. SO BEND INDIANA". happy to learn this. Anyone have any experience with South Bend Replica cannons? This is their 6lb light naval cannon with liner.
20231221_202018.jpg
20240106_182351.jpg

It's been a while since I saw one but if it's about 4 feet it may be a verbruggen cast off Campbell cannons mold. I can't remember if he had hern or southbend casting in Iron. I know he took back the pattern about a decade ago.

Please get back to us with what you find out.

I say it's a repo of a heavier gun. It's designed to make noise and smoke for demonstrations and little else.
Typical privateer and self defense guns carried on merchant men were in the four to six pound range three foot to four foot barrels. Just about a foot was all that was needed when run out and two or three man could handle the gun, even one in a pinch.
No use against the thick sides of a warship it could do a mess of damage to a merchant or attacking privateer
Most of the time on privateers or pirates for that matter never had to first a shot

It's designed to make noise and smoke for demonstrations and little else.
False.
"A Catalog of Antique/Replica Ordnance from South Bend Replicas, Inc." 2004-2005, p. 25, shows a "British Iron 6-pounder, 18th century" replica, described, "From an original recovered from Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. Length, 68", weight, 1100 lbs. (app.), bore, 3", Decorator bore, 3 5/8", half depth." Trunnions are below center of bore axis. The sleeved tube sold for $8261.00.

False.
"A Catalog of Antique/Replica Ordnance from South Bend Replicas, Inc." 2004-2005, p. 25, shows a "British Iron 6-pounder, 18th century" replica, described, "From an original recovered from Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts. Length, 68", weight, 1100 lbs. (app.), bore, 3", Decorator bore, 3 5/8", half depth." Trunnions are below center of bore axis. The sleeved tube sold for $8261.00.
Super interesting!
Thank you guys so much! I'll post pics after it's all back together. I'm happy my gamble paid off. This one will be a family heirloom hopefully (kids interest depending... but I mean, c'mon, it's a cannon!)

False.
3", Decorator bore, 3 5/8", half depth."
Can anyone decode this? Decorator? And half depth?

Can anyone decode this? Decorator? And half depth?
Yes. From the South Bend Price Sheet, "In the following columns, "S" refers to completed bores. Completed bores are drilled full depth and sleeved, with the exception of brass and mortars, which are drilled but not sleeved. "D" refers to bores which are drilled half depth and cannot be fired." The catalog proper, p.3, states, "Prices on the enclosed price sheet are listed according to state of bore completion: "S" (shootable) and "D" (decorator only). "D" series barrels are drilled half depth. "S" series barrels have bores completed as described, and vents are drilled."

Then its not just a demo piece for looks only.
Awesome, fire that hog!
Yes indeed! Will blast'er in the spring and post videos. Speaking of which, where can a guy get a 3" mold made for lead casting I wonder? I cast for my rifles and muskets already but the standard mold makers probably wouldn't do it...I'd assume.

Back