• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bi-centennial Besses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ T Frizzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone recall a batch of English made Besses that were imported at the time of our Bi-centennial celebration? I seem to recall that they were made to exacting standards and were very pricey for the time.

Yeah, SEEMS LIKE I remember something like that (you're asking an awful lot of an old man's memory)....a limited number and expensive. Can't say that I've ever seen one.....

I think there was a large number made and that they were made to the original patterns. I believe the price was upwards of $600.00.

In "71" I bought an English made Bess from Dixie, it was made by Coach Harness Ltd. It has what I think is a maple stock, hand inlet for everything, the 46" barrel was forged around a mandrel and uses a steel liner in the breech. It has a steel ramrod. They did ,however, use an Italian made lock, it is straight and marked Stowe 1776. I've not seen any other Besses with such heavy brass parts. It weighs near 14 lbs. At the time it retailed for $275.00. Not sure but could this be the ones you're referring to?

I posted an answer to your question, instead of a reply to you it went in as a new topic, my error, sorry.

The Besses I'm thinking of were made to the original patterns and had English walnut stocks. They were supposed to have been made entirely in England. They weren't available until 1976.

awcanis said:
I posted an answer to your question, instead of a reply to you it went in as a new topic, my error, sorry.

I merged the two topics together for everyone's convenience.

Are you thinking of the ones that were issued for each of the soldiers who served in the Welsh Fusiliers in America. I believe those were made in England to exact standards. I never saw one, but, I vaguely remember the ad, and because they were limited in number, they were somewhat expensive.

These muskets were for sale to whoever had the money for them as I recall. I don't remember much else about them except the high price.

I took a quick look through some old catalogs to see if I could find something on the fusilier commemoratives that I think were sold by advance subscription in 1976, but, no luck. I did find one that I had forgotten about though. The 1972 Dixie catalog had English manufactured Besses built to original specs with .75 cal 46" barrels, walnut stocks and hand engraved locks. They were even furnished with an "original" bayonet, and all for the princely sum of $275. Ah, the good old days. Of course, in 1972, I probably didn't have the 275 to spare.

That does sound like them. I might have that catalogue around somewhere. I couldn't have afforded one either in 1972!

In "71" I bought an English made Bess from Dixie, it was made by Coach Harness Ltd. It has what I think is a maple stock, hand inlet for everything, the 46" barrel was forged around a mandrel and uses a steel liner in the breech. It has a steel ramrod. They did ,however, use an Italian made lock, it is straight and marked Stowe 1776. I've not seen any other Besses with such heavy brass parts. It weighs near 14 lbs. At the time it retailed for $275.00. Not sure but could this be the ones you're referring to?

Post some pics - would really like to see this variation.

I have some pictures. If anyone is interested in seeing them please email me since I can't get them on this post. I was told by someone (in the know) the lock was Italian. I have no way of confirming this as there are no markings. This is the package deal out of the Dixie catalog mentioned in the above post. It did come with the original bayonet.

Latest posts

Back