• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Better sparks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It was time for a second field test of the Pedersoli trade gun. I lightened the frizzen spring and am getting better sparks and better flint life. I think I will just lighten it a little more though!
The pheasant was hard work! Every bird that the dog put up I was crossed up or a tree in the way....it happend for about six birds late afternoon and then this one arose again with me all twisted wrong but swing through I did and down it came.
Measured powder but poored the shot into the hand!
Fowling issues cured....OS card+leather wad (soaked in olive oil)+ two more OS cards.
One pheasant and six wood pigeons.

Brits.

Congratulations! Sounds like you have a few birds in the field to hunt later. Keep posting! :hatsoff:

Wow! I'm really drooling. Over here, it's mostly dove and quail for upland game birds. First time I saw a pheasant come up (visiting in Iowa) it rather looked like a B-52 taking off! :wink:

I lightened the frizzen spring and am getting better sparks and better flint life. I think I will just lighten it a little more though!

BEFORE you do that..., try taking a 1mm diameter piece of lead and placing it under the back end of the flint where the flint touches the jaw screws. This will pitch the front edge of the flint downward just a few degrees, and see if that doesn't help without going any lighter on the frizzen spring.

LD

Loyalist Dave said:
I lightened the frizzen spring and am getting better sparks and better flint life. I think I will just lighten it a little more though!

BEFORE you do that..., try taking a 1mm diameter piece of lead and placing it under the back end of the flint where the flint touches the jaw screws. This will pitch the front edge of the flint downward just a few degrees, and see if that doesn't help without going any lighter on the frizzen spring.

LD

Hey....thanks for that....on it now......

B.

Well it seems to be improving all the time. Packed the rear of the flint up as LD suggested and had one mis-fire in five tries(in a violent gale and rain)!

How does that sound?

Thanks LD :hatsoff:

B.

You didn't happen to purchase that fine 62 cal from me did you?
I had the same gun and still miss it.

That's outstanding Brit, congratulations !
:thumbsup:

(and the caption under the dog: "I thought he'd NEVER get one !")

Latest posts

Back