• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Spring Barley decoying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feltwad said: "By 4.30 I decided to call it a day I counted the bag which was a mix of 45 head not bad..."
Certainly not bad. I'm impressed, as I would imagine any shotgunner would be, but you are going to have to step up the pace quite a bit if you want to be even in the same class with your countryman and fellow sportsman.

Frederick Oliver Robinson, 2nd Marquess of Ripon, (January 1852 – 23 September 1923), styled Viscount Goderich between 1859 and 1871 and Earl de Grey between 1871 and 1909….

Lord Ripon was a fast, accurate game shooter, who was noted to down 28 pheasants in sixty seconds as a shooting party guest on the Sandringham House estate. He also holds the record of the greatest recorded lifetime bag of birds shot: 556,000, including 241,000 pheasants.

Spence

Feltwad said: "By 4.30 I decided to call it a day I counted the bag which was a mix of 45 head not bad..."
Certainly not bad. I'm impressed, as I would imagine any shotgunner would be, but you are going to have to step up the pace quite a bit if you want to be even in the same class with your countryman and fellow sportsman.

Frederick Oliver Robinson, 2nd Marquess of Ripon, (January 1852 – 23 September 1923), styled Viscount Goderich between 1859 and 1871 and Earl de Grey between 1871 and 1909….

Lord Ripon was a fast, accurate game shooter, who was noted to down 28 pheasants in sixty seconds as a shooting party guest on the Sandringham House estate. He also holds the record of the greatest recorded lifetime bag of birds shot: 556,000, including 241,000 pheasants.

Spence
Yes their records show big numbers of game shot but what you forgot to mention that each had 2 to 4 loaders standing behind him . I do have the game records of several large estates of that period when prior to 1850 most of the gentry did not shoot so the game keepers shot the game for the big house.
Feltwad

Spence
[/QUOTE]

There's a guy who never had to worry about punching a timeclock. As the Dowager Countess on Downton Abbey would say..."What is a Weak End ?"

Last edited:
As to crow, my dad used to hunt them pretty hard, using decoys as well. He said the first crow to come over was doing recon, and if you killed it you were done for the day. But if you let him go he brought back plenty of company. Dad said they weren't too bad cooked in dumplings. I have had blue jays in dumplings. You had to be real hungry to enjoy them.

As to crow, my dad used to hunt them pretty hard, using decoys as well. He said the first crow to come over was doing recon, and if you killed it you were done for the day. But if you let him go he brought back plenty of company. Dad said they weren't too bad cooked in dumplings. I have had blue jays in dumplings. You had to be real hungry to enjoy them.
In my father and grandfathers time rook pie was common these were young rooks that were sitting on the nest edge and not ready to fly . This did develop a small bore rifle which is better know has a rook rifle and built by many top London and Birmingham makers
Feltwad

There is a big difference although I have never shot turkey can you explain why it starting to sound like hunting turkey ?
Feltwad
The blind, decoys, calls (and call shy), motion sensitive quarry, high level of both skill and knowledge to consistently be successful. Only difference is flying vs walking (turkeys don’t really fly). But all this is from family and friends hunting turkeys, as well as knowledge gained from strangers as we don’t have turkeys this far north.
Walk

Why would anyone need to decoy barley especially in the spring long before harvest time........ :p
Say that to the farmer who has just sown x number acres of barley and with in a couple of days you have 500 to a 1000 woodpigeons ,jackdaws crows and rooks eating or picking out drilled grain it is surprizing how much they can devour in just one day.
Feltwad

Say that to the farmer who has just sown x number acres of barley and with in a couple of days you have 500 to a 1000 woodpigeons ,jackdaws crows and rooks eating or picking out drilled grain it is surprizing how much they can devour in just one day.
Feltwad
Another good joke wasted........ Oh well.

Another good joke wasted........ Oh well.
A typical bag shot on a barley stubble over decoys can prove some hectic shooting with fast sporting shots .
Feltwad
100_2357.JPG
100_2359.JPG

Wood Pigions though classed as vermin are in my estimation & that is shared by the Head Keeper of HG the Duke of Westminster ( I met the Keeper not the Duke) are the 'Finest game bird in England " since they are a worthy challenge over decoys or flighting or plain stalking by locateing them as they call & you reply . and as it replies you stalk up till one of us spots the other . & you might get a shot.
Of Crows I found an owl decoy can interest them & if you kill one don't come out of cover throw it out so its mates can see it & they as oft as not will fly about & chivey the corpes loseing their inbuilt caution so you might barrel one or perhaps two who came to see the fuss in process.
I recall stalking up a mob of 'woodies ' Hoeing into chickweed . I had a double 24 bore old flint gun by Wm Parker . I lined up a bunch & pulled both barrels as one lock was prone to miss fire & bowled 4 in one shot . Young Rooks we sold to a man who liked them .
Rudyard

Tip if you wing one stake it fast too a piece of cord and place the bird in the open get it a squawking and hoping around and they will come.

Tip if you wing one stake it fast too a piece of cord and place the bird in the open get it a squawking and hoping around and they will come.
Here in the UK this practise is against the law and would certainly end with a jail sentence personally it is not sporting and if any bird is wounded it is dispatched straight away . I still understand it is practised in Europe but not in the UK .
Feltwad

Here in the UK this practise is against the law and would certainly end with a jail sentence personally it is not sporting and if any bird is wounded it is dispatched straight away . I still understand it is practised in Europe but not in the UK .
Feltwad
It’s not legal in most of the United States, either. Neither is using live decoys.
Jay

Back