• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Spring Barley decoying

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rooks And Jackdaws eat the same things as Crows and Magpies Yet Our Dogooders and Treehuggers see fit to take them off the Vermin List??? Both do as much damage to crops as others. Now't so queer as Folks. Spoiled some good M/L Shotgunning.. OLD DOG..

It is not unusual to plant a plot of sunflowers here for September dove shooting. The birds love the seeds. And their fast, erratic flight keeps it a sporting proposition. It would be a rare dove shooter indeed who would make a bag such as your photo shows.

It is not unusual to plant a plot of sunflowers here for September dove shooting. The birds love the seeds. And their fast, erratic flight keeps it a sporting proposition. It would be a rare dove shooter indeed who would make a bag such as your photo shows.

Pigeons also don't fly as hard or fast as a dove. I wish we had flocks of pigeons outside of cities in the south, but the habitat ain't right.

I do remember when I used to manage a large outdoor sporting venue on the Chattahoochee, a small small flock of pigeons lived under the bridge over the river along the property. It was virtually the only sort of roosting spot that might have compelled them to live in the country. They liked our dove field, but when it was being planted rather than in September.

One of the outfitters wanted to try his shotgun out on those pigeons and I told him I'd try my new pistol on him if he did. Growing up in a city full of flying rats, it did my heart good to see those fat healthy pigeons. Of course if there had been 1000 of them out there I might have dropped a few myself. But there were only a dozen or so.

The Wood pigions of the UK are often very numerous and are by no means too easy to bag . Felt Wad shoots for pest control . much needed in some areas ..Their was a man name of Archie Coats did nothing but shoot woodies proffessionaly, But he didn't use muzzleloaders like Felt Wad often does ..I miss their cooing. It stirs me as it was my principal quarry when young & I lived in UK . We have fine native pigions in NZ But they are utterly unafraid and are protected .accordingly . Rudyard

Owing to our lockdowns there has been little shooting or rural pest control in UK. There are 6 pairs of Woodpigeons nesting in the tall Conifers in my small garden. It is nice to see them about,but Heaven help them in the fields when we start shooting again. As to game birds,I have never seen so many Road Kill pheasants before in areas that put down numbers of birds. Owing to game birds not put in hamper to be thrown off towers..We use Clay targets for that. See Feltwads photo's in this post. Cheer's old Chap. are you still after Bluebacks..No,93.. OLD DOG

Coming in to the decoys
Feltwad

P1010007.JPG

Back