• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best way to clean fixed barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have a rifle where the tang is fixed and screwed to the stock in 2 or 3 places. I am used to taking off hooked-breach barrels to clean them. What it the recommended procedure with a barrel that is fixed?

Thanks,

What I do is the following:
1. Remove the lock
2. put a toothpick in the touch hole or a bamboo skewer. This will seal the touch hole.
3. Fill the bore with water with a bit of dish soap.
4. Take the flint out of the lock and clean the fouling off the lock.
5. Pour the water out of the barrel and fill the barrel again.
6. Lubricate the lock.
7. Pour the water out of the barrel.
8. Wipe the bore with some cleaning patches. There will still be some fouling in the bore.
9. Run dry patches and a couple with WD40 or rubbing alcohol to pull the water.
10. Optional: Run a Ballistol dampened patch. Its surprising that there will still be some fouling in the bore.
11. Run a patch with some rust inhibiting lubricant (Okay, Barricade or similar).
12. Store the gun muzzle down for the fluids remaining to drain out.
13. A day later, run a Ballistol patch to verify that the gun is clean.
14. Your gun should be clean.

Prepare for the approximately 30,000 other best cleaning methods that are used on this forum.

Thank you. Plugging the touch hole came to mind but how to do was unclear until your suggestion. Obviously I can't put the breech end in a bucket of hot water, so pouring the water in makes sense too. These two suggestions should be enough info for me to figure out the rest of it. Thanks again!

I do about the same as Grenadier1758, I have also just use patches wet with Ballistol (4 parts water/1 part ballistol) and swap out the bore. Works just as good and less mess. Then oil with ballistol. Takes all of 15 minutes.

Use a round toothpick and put a dab of grease on it to prevent the leaks if any. Clean the touch hole with a pipe cleaner or dental brush.

I have one of those clamp like affairs with the surgical tubing that clamps onto the barrel (after you remove the lock) at the touch hole of a flintlock. The tubing goes into a small container of cleaning solution . I then rest the gun on sandbags upside down with the muzzle slightly lower than the breech, with a bucket under neath it to catch the liquid. The action of drawing the ramrod out of the bore pulls water from the container into the tube and through the touch hole. Pushing the patched jag on the ramrod in pushes the water out the touch hole and back into the container. Having the barrel upside down keeps any water that may leak from the clamp or at the muzzle from seeping down into the stock.

flush-flint_1.jpg
This is the item I use. Lay the gun as I mentioned though not the way its shown.
flush-flint_2.jpg

Pull lock plug vent or nipple then squirt a little cleaner down the bore. Use breech face brush to scrub and then dump. Insert my bug sprayer barrel blaster and wash it out. Then four or five patches and and a pipe cleaner.

Back