• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Smoothbore Gauge?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tinker2 said:
You know you can have more than one right? :wink:

I still want a .45 smooth bore like Britsmoothy and another 9 mm smooth bore.

Good Luck to you.

William Alexander

Of course! But you gotta start somewhere right? :haha: :haha:

For shooting ball, I like a 24 or 28 gauge. For shooting shot, I like the 12 gauge. But for 'all purpose', I like the 20 gauge.

Looks like 20 ga is the most popular. Out of curiosity, if I wanted to go after bigger game like elk, would I be able to humanely hunt them with a .62 smoothbore?

Yes the ball is plenty big enough, as elk are taken with .54 patched round ball, and a .600 ball will take a moose.

The 20 gauge was a very very popular flinter in Canada, while in The States (and territories) rifles were popular. You will need a good powder load, AND you will need to be close (compared to a rifle that is).

LD

It all depends on what and how much you are going to shoot.

I use my 20 ga for Turkey and my 28 ga for target. I shoot a lot and 22 balls per pound vs 33 balls per pound makes a big difference.

If you are only shooting a couple hundred round a year gauge makes little difference. The 20 ga is the most popular for most of today's trade guns.

Latest posts

Back