• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Production Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

The Pedersoli/Cabalas rifles mentioned above are the grand children of the "Hatfield" rifles from the early 70ties. Pedersoli's finish is always super shiny...to make the customer overlook the flaws in their quick industrial production methods. Have a search on youtube to see how they work...and you know why lot's of gloss varnish is being used. If you want to spend money wisely and if you live in the US where you are not milked by over seas shipping charges and taxes I would recommend to buy a kit and build the gun your self. Even a kit Lyman GPR rifle can look excellent after some issues the pattern has are ironed out with hand work. Pedersoli is something for people who have too much cash...IMHO.

I will second that on the Pedersoli Frontier, Cabela's Blue Ridge .54 caliber flintlock.

I just picked one up at Cabela's on sale for $480. The fit & finish is great and the lock geometry is right on. The flint has a lead wrap and sparks like crazy. By the way the finish on mine is a matte finish and the wood looks very good.

If it is as accurate and reliable as my Pedersoli Pennsylvania .45 caliber flintlock it will be a winner.

WadePatton said:
mtmike said:
Mick,,era don't matter,I am not into reenactment,I just put food on table,,just want best for the money :hatsoff:

Then why limit yourself to production guns? Used or not-so-fancy or in-the-white NON-production guns are sometimes scant dollars more than new production products. They tend to come with better locks, triggers, and bbls, and in a wider variety of styles.

best of luck.

Who would you recommend for an in-the-white kit? I may be looking for a lefty flint in the near future & want to limit my time to final finishing and fitting. I'll have time in coming years to fit locks, triggers, cut dovetails and do all the hand work I don't have time to do now.

Hi

I think Dixie might still have their famous .50 Southern Mountain in left handed kit version, at least it is still on their page! If I was left handed...
Other then that the Lyman GPR is also available in left kit version, both guns could be called "in the white"

cheers
Uwe

Dixie Gun Works should start making the Dixie Tennessee Mountain and Squirrel Rifles again. They were a good no nonsense hunting rifle, and were very accurate. Minimum start having a right handed kit available in both models.

Dixie did indeed get them form a Japanese maker though they've always had a good following and have proved accurate. Lots of shooters have started off with them over the years.

Not traditional, but the accusport, made here in pa.
The owner did not even try ttp make a lock, Iirc, they were/are all from l&r

The RMC Accusporter was a fine rifle but they stopped making them. They haven't started again, have they Zimmer? If they have, then it's hands down the Accusporter. Green Mountain barrel, L&R lock, etc., just a really fine performing flintlock rifle, though not traditional looking, as you pointed out.

The second owner ran it into the ground, but the former owner took it back and as I understand set up again to make guns. His daughter posted a message concerning the restart about ten months ago. Maybe somebody has the information and can post it. The use of components from only quality makers was a common sense idea that paid off in great quality for the firm's guns. It also meant a customer wasn't a captive of the maker for spare parts when and if needed.

Had TC used that idea they would not have bled so much away in warranty claims.

I have an RMC 1/28 twist flinter. It's a good rifle and it's very accurate. I would like it a bunch more if it had a GM 15/16 .54 1/70 twist barrel to swap with the fast twister. I don't know what happened but I don't care to shoot anything but patched ball anymore. I know I won't sell the 1/28 twisters but they really don't get any use over the last 3-4 years.

I also have the 50 cal, 28 inch twist rifle and have been suprised to discover that it shoots PRBs very well. 90 gr Sw 3F, .490 ball, .018 patch, Moose juice lube produced 3 shot groups of 1.8" at 50 yds.

I was working up loads and ran out of the plastic skirted bullets (shooting 4" groups) so I tried round balls. Glad I did. Don't understand why, but the fast twist shoots great.

I have 2 barrels for mine, one is 24" long and the other is 28" long. They will both shoot the Hornady Great Plains bullets into an inch at 50 yards. The 24" barrel shoots patched ball about the same as yours at 50 yards with 80 grains of Goex 2f. The 28" won't group them consistantly at all; don't know why but it's just different. It is ungodly accurate with a .452 300 grain xtp though.

I do like the Accusporter alot and if they ever make a .54 traditional twist I will buy one. I think if they made a 13/16" barreled .36 or .40 flinter they would really sell. The L&R lock is a good lock.

MSW said:
provided that they fit you[/b][/i] (some folks have a problem in that area, and if the rifle doesn't fit the shooter, it doesn't matter how reliable it is).

I have a Cabelas Pedersoli Traditional Hawken, and the lop is a little on the short side. It may fit perfectly with winter layers on, but in a t-shirt, it's a little cramped.

Lesson learned: go hands on before buying.

I arrived at this discussion somewhat late, but have three of Danny Caywood's fine flinters and can't find fault with any. Also have a pair of Robert Ambright's custom squirrel rifles in .36 & .40 and believe he does/did superb work. The Caywood's are two .54 English Game Guns, one a smooth-rifle and a Northwest Trade Canoe-Gun in .62, I really think that's my favorite woods-runner. It took 2nd place in the fall 2013 O.V.P.R. smooth-bore woods walk a few weeks ago...

Back