• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Best value flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't speak for traditons or pedersoli since I have not owned any of them but for factory guns, I've never met a TC or Lyman/Investarms that I didn't like. There are a lot of good custom gun builders out there but you're gonna pay, especially for ready to go guns. Kibler is one you'll hear about and they are a beautiful, well made gun but are kits you'll have to assemble. Not difficult for the average guy but you're still gonna have a good bit of $$ in it. I guess in this case, value is in the person deciding. For me, I would have no issue paying half of a kibler into a used TC or lyman in good shape. Just my humble opinion.

Opinions wanted.....what is the best value on a good flintlock???....I'll buckle up thank you in advance
SO this is difficult to say...., because the question will mix "kits" (which vary a lot) with finished rifles and guns, AND with factory produced items.... plus for some there may be a price-point that puts some options out of reach.

Finally, what is one going to do with their flintlock? IF one is strictly doing targets, that's different than hunting small game, which is different than also hunting large game, which is different than small game, birds, and big game....,

For my money, after having bought a couple mass market arms....Buy a Kibler kit. With minimal effort and best money layout in my opinion you will have a fine quality fine shooting FL.

I'm going to leave "used" guns that are "out of production" out of this equation, because they greatly vary in price and condition... too much to write "these are as a rule a good value".

So IF one has the skills, and the budget, the Kibler kit is an excellent choice. No question!

IF one does not have the skills, or the budget, then the Pedersoli Frontier in .54 flintlock is an excellent choice for an out-of-the-box rifle for Big game and targets.... it also comes in .50 and is currently, reasonably priced. Lyman rifles tend to be a good value too, and the Lyman Trade Rifle in .50 or .54 is slightly less expensive than the Pedersoli Frontier.

If one does not have the skills, and also wants to hunt small game and birds, then the Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket is probably the best value, as it's a smoothbore but will also shoot .610 round ball. That being said, IF one has some basic skill with wood finishing, AND wants to hunt birds, small game, and big game, then the Pedersoli Indian Trade Musket KIT, is the best value out there.

IF one is simply looking to shoot blanks while at a historic reenactment, and beat the heck out of it, then a 1st Model 1756 Bess, with matching bayonet, from Loyalist Arms LLC, is in my opinion the best choice for the money.

IF you want something that looks like you went back in time, and grabbed a relic before it got old, and brought it back to shoot and to display..., then you want to contact Dave Person (@dave_person ) and have him build a Bess or a fusil or something for you.

IF you wanted to hunt with a flintlock handgun, AND wanted something really different..., and don't most of us "dare to be different" ?...., then in that case you want a Pedersoli Bounty Hunter Flintlock Pistol (it has a 16" barrel ) , and what the heck, have a stock maker fit it for a removeable shoulder stock....., while at the same time have the barrel reamed out as a smoothbore for shot...., It's a pistol so you're going to be "right on top" of the deer anyway, and as a smoothie it will give you small game and maybe some upland birds...

LD

Last edited:
As said , value is in the eye of the buyer. As for me, I find the most value in a used T/C or Lyman. Now my Lyman flinter is not quite as quick (as measured in milliseconds) as my custom Lancaster rifle with a Chambers Siler lock but it also cost 1/5 as much. After reading here for quite a while, I would pass on a Traditions but that's my opinion and that's what you were asking for.

For my money, after having bought a couple mass market arms....Buy a Kibler kit. With minimal effort and best money layout in my opinion you will have a fine quality fine shooting FL.
Yes, I heartily agree, if you are looking for one of his three offerings. If it’s a Fowler or Hawken style you are out of luck.

When talking about a flint lock firearm, the best value is always about the lock, then it's how that fire in the pan get to the powder charge.

Since @Jason holgate did not say what he intended to use his flint lock for, then I will guess that historical or period correctness is not on his list of intentions. Then I would suggest looking for an Investarms flint lock. These have generally acceptable performance. A Pedersoli Frontier is also an acceptable choice.

The consideration for best value may also center around how long the firearm is intended to be kept. Then replacement of parts becomes a consideration with factory parts being more likely available to support the gun. Right now, that is where the Kibler kit begins to really add value.

I can say that flint lock rifles are true joy and to me the best value when the lock is capable for fast ignition and the rifle fits my style of shooting.

This is like a question a wife would ask.....I mean it sounds like "why do you need more than one flintlock?" Is something a wife would ask.

Value is different for everyone, I have a Cabelas Investarms Hawken flinter that was new in 1996 that still shoots awesome. It was a $249 rifle. Any kit you buy today will start at over twice that, is up to you to decide the value. I see lots of nice used and never fired rifles for sale on this site, just saying.

I just bought a used truck for $15k that is immaculate, sure it's not new, would have cost me $50k more new.

Opinions wanted.....what is the best value on a good flintlock???....I'll buckle up thank you in advance
A guy walked into a Cadillac dealership, asked what gas mileage a car got.
The salesman said, If you cant afford the gas, you cant afford the car.

There is no value, there is poorly made production guns and ones you make yourself.
So take your choice, cheap and hardship, buy quality and have a machine that functions darn near perfect.
Did it both ways. The built my self is much better, and I spread the $800 in parts over a few months.

If you're in a hurry to get one Kibler would be my first choice if you're not in a hurry spend some time looking for a good used one and you might save a buck or two.

The price of the gas or the vehicle, or in this case the rifle, is not the problem. To me, the perceived value is not universal but rather individual. I spend the most time with my rifles hunting, the fanciest rifle doesn't make me more effective. My values push me to the utility side of the curve I reckon. I'm okay with that.

In my opinion, a used one in good condition will serve you very well. I have a used Investarms Hawken, and a TC Hawken I built from a kit. Both are nice looking, and shoot better than I can. You can learn a great deal at less cost to you. Easily sellable if you don’t like them-watch how fast they go on this forum!
Plus, you will have extra money for powder, lead, etc., while sharpening up your image of what your ideal rifle would be.
That is what I am doing, shooting and learning, while figuring out just exactly what I want. A Kibler Southern Mountain rifle is what I have in my sights at present. I’ll keep saving up for that while I keep shooting and learning. Well, sometimes learning! I now know not to talk and socialize while I load to prevent the Dreaded Dry Ball.

When he was still actively taking orders, Mike Brooks offered quite a lot on a gun for the money in comparison to others. For a kit, the Kibler products are way ahead in the race as far as quality, value for money, architecture, etc.

I can see some completed Kibler Colonials and SMR's coming up for sale as Woodsrunners come online. If the woodsrunner had been available, I would have gone that route instead of the Colonial as it's just a bit more compact and lighter (or should be).

If budget allows, keep an eye out here and at the Americanlongrifle forum for good used custom guns.

I bought a used Italian Hawken more than 20 Years ago and those Italian Hawken was 20 years old, that´s my it works allways and need less atencion rifle.
That´s the best buy, a used rifle that works and it was cheap with the percusion barrel and lock to interchange.

Latest posts

Back