• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best place to send Colt percussion clones for work?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCode98

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a few that I would like to have worked over like the arbor, timing, and all. Who is the person you guys recommend the most?

How about contact info for them or others for my little book.
Websites,phones etc. People that can tune and slick up
the action are valuable. Some people do accurizing too.
I fiddled with that in younger days, now my eyes and hands
are not as steady or keen.

Gary Lee Barnes (aka Hoofhearted on this forum) would, IHMO, be a much better recommendation than Goon
Not taking anything away from Gary. He has an excellent reputation as a top drawer BP gunsmith. While I have spoken with Gary on several occasions and received very good advice from him, though I've not experienced any of his work. Mike is primarily a tuner, not a gunsmith. As such, he concentrates solely on tuning and competition prep. I have no complaints about Mike or his work. Not to mention, he's a heckuva nice guy.

probably best you call Gary and discuss your work and get his take on his services and others...

eight-one-seven two-one-nine two-nine-sixty-six

Or why don't if you say he is better than some, to explain why you said that...? :dunno:

It is important to have a list because many times you face back logs.
The Craftsmen and Smiths who work on these period revolvers are
not common.
Yes, and as such they are frequently not as expedient as our modern society would have them be. Michelangelo took his sweet time in the Sistine Chapel for a reason. And it was worth the wait.

I have had times when, for example, Clements was unable to accept work for
months--and then a long wait. But yes, craftsmen can not be rushed. However,
if you need it sooner, it is nice to have several to call.

Thanks Cap!
My work focuses primarily on converting the revolvers from a flat spring action to a coil spring action. Most of my customers want shooters that will work and not break. I was taught how to tune the Colt action by Mr. Jim Martin and have over the years been able to transfer the Colt "feel" to a coil sprung action of my own design. All springs are made in house and since there is some parts modification they are not sold as a separate item. I also have a fairly large competition crowd and that's where the coil action makes a stand. My revolvers have won 7 state championships (some multiple times) and with all the platforms I work on - Colt pattern open tops, Remington and Ruger Old Armys (3 screw Rugers).
So, it took a while for me to get the action layout like I wanted, the Remington being the toughest. As far as I know I'm the only one to ever coil spring the Remington action. It is definitely the 19th century ROA !!! I found out much later that my action is a pretty close copy of the action in a Freedom Arms revolver but without the extra $2,000 entry fee!! Lol

I only do complete service work meaning I don't have a menu to pick and choose from. All services include an action stop and a bolt block (makes a tank out of them and protects the parts) and leave here with a positive trigger engagement. Screws are hardened, cleaned up and fire blued. There is much "proprietary massaging" of the action parts which extends their life and function. Arbors are tightened if loose and corrected for length. Barrel / cylinder clearances for open tops are set at .0025" - .003" for cap guns, .0015"- .002" for unmentionables. This is a lot of what I offer but there's quite a bit more.

All are lifetime guaranteed. All are custom revolvers. Here's an example.
20210912_145422.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Yes, and as such they are frequently not as expedient as our modern society would have them be. Michelangelo took his sweet time in the Sistine Chapel for a reason. And it was worth the wait.
I have no problem with waiting, it’s a given if understood up front. It’s promises that can trip one up.

There's way too much beating around the bush here. Can someone just pony up and say what you mean?

Back