• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best place to purchase possible bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you asking about a shot pouch, which is what most are showing or a haversack for carrying various things??

According to Wallace Gusler, the term "possibles bag" was not used in the early days...Lewis & Clark used the term shot pouch...
Thank you.
I was trying not to bring that up.
I usually do, but I'm sick of arguing about it when the "it doesn't matter," "it's a do your own thing, thing," crowd get offended when someone tries to use correct terminology.

Big difference between a shot pouch, and a so called "possibles bag." Maybe the terminology misuse is why so many people have so much extra stuff in their shot pouch?

As for bags from "The Leatherman."
These are great bags in that they are made from excellent materials and are very well made. However they do have features that are not period correct for much of the time period of this forum....
I know, I know, many of you don't care.
But some people do. If you do care, then do some homework and research your time period of interest before dropping a bunch of money on a shot pouch only to find out later you should have bought something else.

@Brokennock Terminology is just something you have to address over and over kindly. I know when I first got here I didn’t know the difference between a possibles bag and a shot pouch. Someone brought it up and I learned. Outside of this forum in the general public people refer to them as possibles bags. It’s an innocent mistake (as you know).

The same thing happens in rocketry. Everyone gets into rocketry and calls them rocket “engines”. Get around hard core rocketeers and they will tell you they are rocket “motors”. I’m talking about our solid fuel motors. It’s the same situation.

I guess we should think of it as an initiation ritual/lesson.

@Brokennock Terminology is just something you have to address over and over kindly. I know when I first got here I didn’t know the difference between a possibles bag and a shot pouch. Someone brought it up and I learned. Outside of this forum in the general public people refer to them as possibles bags. It’s an innocent mistake (as you know).

The same thing happens in rocketry. Everyone gets into rocketry and calls them rocket “engines”. Get around hard core rocketeers and they will tell you they are rocket “motors”. I’m talking about our solid fuel motors. It’s the same situation.

I guess we should think of it as an initiation ritual/lesson.
You are exactly right sir. Folks don't know what they haven't been informed of.
My issue arises when that newcomer who is trying to learn gets told that none of it matters, "do what you want, under any circumstances."

I'm guilty on the rocket thing 😞
I know better but alternate between motor and engine on the very, very, rare occasion it might come up in conversation.

I’ve been looking at bags on black powder bags.com. He has some VERY nice looking bags in lots of sizes and styles. I’ve just spent too much, too fast getting my kit and all the little things one needs to spend the money on a bag. Plus I still have to figure what will suit me best. All things in time though

Why is the fact that Colonial America was very much a consumer based society so hard for folks to understand?
We have a do it your self mentality for ml. It’s one of the few hobbies that emphasize that aspect. And museums are full of folk art that was pressed into service.
However, contrary to the myth people were not jacks of all trades. Even on the frontier there were plenty of professional making stuff. Traveling outfits of brick makers and carpenters. A trading post would soon have an innkeeper/tavern, soon a cooper a shoemaker and ofcouse a blacksmith.
Boone is recorded shooting fine Irish linen in his gun. Pewterware was a given, and if you had a rusty hole to block there were plenty of tinkers.
I am often struck by descriptions of fire starting. City folk could beg a coal from someone near and oft didn’t need to strike a light.
If you’re a newbie, and you wonder how to make a bag, you’re in the same boat as others now and back then. You didn’t know how.
Starting a farm was hard work. Chances were you didn’t have time to make the stuff, even the small stuff you needed. When your farm was up and running you had the wealth to buy good stuff.
Your clothing may be home made, but the cloth, your knife belt buckle, buttons ect came from England.
Gunsmiths bought boxes of locks and barrel blanks too. Their tools were turned out by professionals
A look at goods sold in trading post or at rendezvous shows what people got even on the wild frontier.
Yes there was a lot of homespun goods, but in general if you owned it you bought it.

I’ve been looking at bags on black powder bags.com. He has some VERY nice looking bags in lots of sizes and styles. I’ve just spent too much, too fast getting my kit and all the little things one needs to spend the money on a bag. Plus I still have to figure what will suit me best. All things in time though
Research before you buy.
Old shooting bags tended to be small. Though there were some ‘bushel bags’
Buy a cheap haversack. Put all you think you need in it.
Take it to range and on even short treks. What did you actually use there? Discard what you don’t need and then get a bag big enough for that.
Most folks didn’t have a harem of guns. Should you have two or more get a dedicated bag for each
When you start this it seems like there is enough tools and dew-dads that one mule is hard pressed to carry it all. After a bit it’s comes as a surprise what you don’t need to shoot

Just some food for thought
My bag for my Fusil de chase.
Two tin tops. Lube and patches.
Balls are loose in the bottom. I can feel them blind
The bag is divided so ball, rag and combo tool go in one side. Extra flint, extra leather and tins go in the back. Powder charger with end I can use to short start in with the ball. A worm isn’t seen but in the bag with ball
9DEA6AC2-AA19-4537-93C3-97E05C8910D6.jpeg

Easy peasy
9DEA6AC2-AA19-4537-93C3-97E05C8910D6.jpeg

It's surprising how minimal you can get with your bag regardless of what you may choose to call it. I can put everything needed for a full day of shooting or a multiple Day big game hunt into an 8 X 7 bag. Candy bars, lip balm, sandwiches, cell phones...etc, are not allowed in my shooting bag.

On terminology, I too have never come across a reference to "possibles bag" in any of the period literature. Of course I've far from read it all so maybe miss it.

There's a passage in Russel Osbourne's journal where he refers to his bullet pouch.

Just some food for thought
My bag for my Fusil de chase.
Two tin tops. Lube and patches.
Balls are loose in the bottom. I can feel them blind
The bag is divided so ball, rag and combo tool go in one side. Extra flint, extra leather and tins go in the back. Powder charger with end I can use to short start in with the ball. A worm isn’t seen but in the bag with ballView attachment 205293
Easy peasy
View attachment 205293
I love the simplicity, bet most folks carried something of that sort. Dale

I did a search looking at all and picking a style or look that also fit the size I was looking for. Found it on Etsy and have used it from Colorado Elk Maryland Goose South Florida duck and snipe. Has worked great for me so far. Hop this helps!

Attachments

• DBEDB3BA-C229-4B5D-BB88-856BC1FDFF00.jpeg
    DBEDB3BA-C229-4B5D-BB88-856BC1FDFF00.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
My bits and bobs aren't PC but the bag is a pearler, got it from Jim Kern on instagram. He advertises through the CLA artisans website as well.
I will get another after the horn I've ordered from the states is finished.

20220921_135347.jpg

And another thing.......If you like a larger bag , for a reasonable price , look at Crazy crow belt bags. My favorite, is the 9" x 8" ? , belt bag. I put an over the shoulder strap on it. Perfect for those folks carrying extra stuff. Good price , too.

Latest posts

Back