• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best muzzleloader for an older guy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the suggestions. I hunt whitetail deer in Wv. Recoil doesn't present a problem its the loss of ability to hold a long heavy gun steady.

An alternative is to see a local fitness trainer, and get a workout routine to strengthen your body so you CAN hold your current rifles. At 76 I work out 2x/ week and have no problems shooting my 42" barreled flintlock (.45cal) for hunting or a short range trip. All day shooting is tough after 15 shots or so, due to degrading discs in my back. Exercise also has other benefits (overall feeling better, more stamina, better sleep).

I have shot and hunted with Hawken rifles and my 50 cal flint Southern mountai. Rifle for more years than I can remember. At 72 years old and after shoulder and wrist surgery I think it's time for a change. Any suggestions for something that I might consider?
Take a look at the Pedersoli Scout. 28-1/2” barrel and weighs 6 lbs. Mine is very accurate. I bought the percussion model and also ordered a flintlock. Swapping out from percussion to flint is about a 5 minute job.

My mind automatically started thinking “carbine” when I read the op. T/C’s White Mountain Carbine springs to mind and I know there are others that are probably more affordable. That should get rid of that nose heavy weight for you.

The .40 does seem like a good choice but is it legal to hunt with them? I'm pretty sure some states have a minimum hunting caliber.
Here in NM, no, it is not legal. In OR, I used a .40 for deer and it was deadly. .40 was popular for ML hunting pronghorn - it can be flat and fast, a sweet spot in ML calibers I think.

The .40 does seem like a good choice but is it legal to hunt with them? I'm pretty sure some states have a minimum hunting caliber.
It varies by state. Just check your state laws and any state you plan to hunt in. Ohio allows 38 caliber ML or bigger.

This is my first build, basically from scratch (please ignore my mistakes). It has an old 32 inch Don Getz swamped barrel in 45 caliber. Shaped the maple stock to what felt right for my body. It weighs 6.8 pounds and has no recoil with 65 grains of either 2f or 3f. I would strongly recommend a swamped barrel.
69138111251__8AA8BA2B-7944-4B12-BC4E-6734E29AB925.jpg
69138112188__E35462BF-A717-4B4F-AFCF-5FC97291970F.jpg

I'll second the TC Seneca as being quite a nice,light rifle. I'll be buggered why anyone likes heavy guns. I'm even considering lopping a few inches off my rocky mountain big bore to drop the weight and improve the balance.

I have light weight at 6 lbs Traditions Tennessee 50 cal carbine with 24 in barrel I like. Super accurate with PRB and 70 grs 3f. Great for deer and very easy to carry. Also very nice in a blind with the short barrel.

how about a walking stick gun rest?
Only problem is, that without a sling, both hands are carrying something. Old guys sometimes need to grab onto sprouts, tree roots, etc. to climb levees, mud banks, etc. Portable rests are helpful sometimes. Depends on what/where the day's adventure unfolds. "Serious" hunting - like actually trying to shoot a deer versus poking around might make cross sticks or portable rest desirable. They surely do help once you find a good place to sit, and enjoy the day. Old guys I know are better "sitters" than "stalkers".

Only problem is, that without a sling, both hands are carrying something. Old guys sometimes need to grab onto sprouts, tree roots, etc. to climb levees, mud banks, etc. Portable rests are helpful sometimes. Depends on what/where the day's adventure unfolds. "Serious" hunting - like actually trying to shoot a deer versus poking around might make cross sticks or portable rest desirable. They surely do help once you find a good place to sit, and enjoy the day. Old guys I know are better "sitters" than "stalkers".
Try using your ramrod, pull it out, use it to steady your aim, shoot, put it back where you got it.

The Leatherman makes some nice slip on slings. After tripping on a root and falling, then breaking 2 ribs protecting my rifle, I use one when hunting.

" Getting old sucks wind." Beats not getting older!

Caliber restrictions vary state to state. In Arkansas, I can use a minimum of .40 for deer. For squirrel, .36 is the largest we can use. I think I can use .40 on rabbit, just not squirrel. What a bummer!

Last edited by a moderator:
They also make telescoping shooting sticks that would fit in a bag or on a sling??

If the recoil isn't a problem, you might consider a Thompson Center White Mountain. Obviously not a historically correct by any means, but they are short, light, and easy to carry.

Latest posts

Back