• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Older Goex black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelvinator

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was gifted some older Goex BP yesterday from my Dad that was apparently in with some stuff from my Granddad's belongings that he'd forgotten about.
Best as I can remember my Granddad was fairly active in muzzleloading well into the 1990's so this stuff could be from there about's or older I guess.
About a pound and a half each of 2F and 3F.
The last of my Goex is about a half pond of 3F that's a little over 10 years old.
There are some lot numbers inked on the can bottoms that I cannot make heads or tails of.
I plan to use it.
Might be interesting to shoot it over the chrony and compare the older stuff to my kinda old stuff.

Attachments

• BP1.jpg
    BP1.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 8
  • BP2.jpg
    BP2.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 0
I was gifted some older Goex BP yesterday from my Dad that was apparently in with some stuff from my Granddad's belongings that he'd forgotten about.
Best as I can remember my Granddad was fairly active in muzzleloading well into the 1990's so this stuff could be from there about's or older I guess.
About a pound and a half each of 2F and 3F.
The last of my Goex is about a half pond of 3F that's a little over 10 years old.
There are some lot numbers inked on the can bottoms that I cannot make heads or tails of.
I plan to use it.
Might be interesting to shoot it over the chrony and compare the older stuff to my kinda old stuff.
I used up a can last year that was stamped 1983.
Du-Pont tested some found in a desk there wrapped in 140?? year old newspaper. It had no difference than current made.

I have read that a court house in South Missouri was torn down and they found cannon balls that were fired during the Civil War that were still active and found that the powder was still usable. They even called in the bomb squad. As long as the powder has not been wet it should still be usable.

The issue I have with black powder from an estate is you don't know if it's been mixed with other "black powder" to consolidate cans. That happened to a N-SSA member and the other "black powder" was smokeless. Result, a wrecked original Springfield musket and some destroyed undergarments but no permanent injuries to the shooter.

A couple of months ago I bought an almost-full keg of black powder still labeled Moosic, PA. I think that makes it about 30 years old. Shoots fine.

I would like to see Goex, when they come back online, do some kind of analysis and publish the data to show us that the new Goex powder performs similarly to the old Goex powder. I don't want to do load workups all over again.

Last edited:
I would like to see Goex, when they come back online, do some kind of analysis and publish the data to show us that the new Goex powder performs similarly to the old Goex powder. I don't want to do load workups all over again.
Wish you luck while you wait. I’m sure it will be ‘similar’ to some extent, but even if data were to be published, how could it cover all calibers and other variables? Realistically, would expect to do my own testing in my own guns just like with any new or different powder.

I may use it up one day, but one of the reasons I hold on to various old powders is to have the ability to actually compare how new and old powders perform in my guns if I want to. Just prefer my own actual data over someone else’s chart.

I have similar and older powder cans. Just make sure that they contain actual blackpowder before loading it and touching off that load in your favorite muzzleloader.
I bought some estate bp, among other bp accessories.
I trust that it IS bp, although I haven't shot any yet.
I think I will open each can and check it out before I load any of it. :thumb:
Just little comments from y'all sometimes put out info that is more important than you realize!
Thanks!

Wish you luck while you wait. I’m sure it will be ‘similar’ to some extent, but even if data were to be published, how could it cover all calibers and other variables? Realistically, would expect to do my own testing in my own guns just like with any new or different powder.

I may use it up one day, but one of the reasons I hold on to various old powders is to have the ability to actually compare how new and old powders perform in my guns if I want to. Just prefer my own actual data over someone else’s chart.
I'm not expecting testing over any variable but the powder itself. I have no doubt that Goex, like any chemical company, has means to check the quality of the product in a quantitative manner, and the new product can be compared against the old.

Even in ancient times they had mechanisms for testing gunpowder. I'm sure today with the advent of things like mass spectrometry and advanced chemical analysis there are even more ways to do this.

In fact, there is a government specification that includes testing of black powder. Since the US government was Goex's largest customer, I suspect they are very familiar with it and how to test to it.

http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-P/download.php?spec=MIL-P-223B.027977.pdf

Back