• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best movie fight sceen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to also mention the Marines storming of the Palace of Fez in The Wind and The Lion, but that's after 1865, and so is the Ninja attack in The Last Samurai, so I will mention The Mask of Zorro. I like the swordplay but also when Antonio Banderas (who will become the "new" Zorro) meets Anthony Hopkins (the old Zorro just escaped from prison).

When Hopkins asks Banderas, "Do you know how to use that thing?" Referring to the sword in Banderas' hand, and Banderas replies, "The pointy end goes into the other man." Then Banderas tries his luck vs. Hopkins, and gets disarmed of his sword with one flick of Hopkins' cane.

LD

What about Josey Wales when he met the soldiers in town while he was holding his supplies and drew those Walkers....

I know it is post 1865, but the bar fight in Treasure of the Sierra Madre is another classic.

Since nobody cares about the era, how about the end of "On The Waterfront"?

Or any of the Batman movies or perhaps, "Lord of the Rings"?

Doc Rogers said:
colmoultrie said:
Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo -the final scene where Toshiro Mifune, armed only with a kitchen knife, takes on an entire group of villains. One giant has a huge mallet, and the chief villain has come back from Tokyo with an early Smith & Wesson. It's right around 1866, and the entire movie has some of the greatest sword fighting ever captured on film. Sergio Leone remade the movie as A Fistful of Dollars, and Bruce Willis did a remake called Last Man Standing.

Of course, The Magnificent Seven was based on the Kurosawa film The Seven Samurai, and George Lucas said his inspiration for Star Wars was Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress.

If you haven't seen any Kurosawa films, start with The Seven Samurai or Yojimbo, and you'll be hooked.

Absolutely, not to mention Sanjuro (inspiration for the movie "For a Few Dollars More") and Ran (Macbeth told via Samurai Genre) as well. Absolutely amazing dircetor.

Actually, Ran is based on King Lear. The Kurosawa version of Macbeth is Throne of Blood. Both of those have amazing fight scenes as well - or perhaps it's best to call them battle scenes, as they are massive in scale. The scene in Ran where the enemy destroys the entire castle and it goes up in flames is breathtaking, and knowing it was done without CG effects makes it all the better! (and yes, both movies are certainly set pre-1865...)

By the way, there's a great scene with a matchlock, IIRC, in Kagemusha: the Shadow Warrior, which was an excellent film in itself, and helped to build armor and costumes for Ran.

I left out Sanjuro because it's really a sequel to Yojimbo, which I like a lot more, although the final duel in Sanjuro is amazing, and completely different from most other swordfights you'll see on film. I nearly wore out the rewind button on my VCR when that first came out on video. Glad there are other Kurosawa fans out there! :hatsoff:

Interesting fact: the big fight scene between indiana jones and the big Arab was supposed to be a 5 minute duel, where Indy steals a sword and fights the Arab. On the day that the fight was supposed to happen, Ford woke with a 102 fever and had the flu. To stay on schedule, Lucas changed the fight scene. So instead of a sword fight, Indy shoots the guy. You can see Fords pain and illness in his face as he looks at the Arab.

But for me and my choice of best movie fight scene...

Fantasy: LOTR: Fellowship: the last battle, Aragorn vs the lead Uruk Kai.

Sci-Fi: Star Wars the phantom menace: Quigon Jin & Obi Wan vs Darth Maul. So awesome!

Modern: Unleashed, Jet Li vs man in white.

Historical: The Patriot: Benjamin (gibson) vs Tavington. no fancy moves, just man on man combat

Historical (pre-firearms): Robin Hood, prince of thieves. Robin hood vs Little John.

Historical (Roman): Ben hur, Chariot Scene.

:hatsoff:

Back