• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Made muzzle loaders?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squirrely Rifle

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What company makes the best muzzle loaders regardless of price. Not that I have $1000 dollars to spend right now but maybe someday.

Thanks

For $1000 you can get a new Tennesse Valley Muzzleloading rifle or smoothbore. You won't get anything fancy like carving or a swamped barrel, but you will get a well built gun that is made with quality parts right here in America. Mine is being built right now. :grin:

TVM, TVM, TVM, TVM,!!!!!! :bow:
I own one soon to own four I don't have kids and am addicited to their work. the best for under a grand hands down.
order one and change your mind a hundered times Toni at TVM wont mind. She is a sweet heart!! Will talk your ear off :haha:
:hatsoff:

Best Iron out there ?
I'd have to say the "TVM" rifle
whatever flavor you pick... I have two of em
a 50 flint n a 36 flint
fine peices ...buy one of them n have a friend for life
Hunt Safe All

Jack Hubbard builds the best you can buy. I get in trouble everytime I post a link, so I can't tell you how to find him.

"Best" covers a lot of territory. Best in accuracy? Best in reliability? Best artistry in the carving or engraving? Best grades of wood? Best for what purpose: hunting, reenacting, target shooting?

What style you looking for? A Lyman is a "pretty good" version of a Plains rifle and won't break the bank. You'd have to at least double the cost for a custom that would beat it in any category.

TVM makes a good product and is "somewhat" production, yet custom made cafateria style as you wish. The difference is that you get a good representation of what the original firelocks looked like (not the washed-out modern versions that have no distinct style).

The "Best" quality muzzleloaders are up in the 10's of thousands of dollars, but are no more reliable to shoot or necessarliy more accurate. You could buy a couple new Cadillacs for what the top end rifles sell at.

A truly authentically made, buy not necessarily "fancy", reproduction of a period rifle will set you back 10 or 12 grand, the forged iron barrel alone blowing your budget. :shocked2: But you could put your budget into a good barrel and lock and have a rifle that would shoot just as well and possibly better for under $1,000. Which would be "better?"

Yeah Old Rocky top while a good song it scared the manure out of me the first time I went to the site as well ! I agree with all who sed TVM. Good gun (I am happy with mine ) and absolutely grate folks.

Well, let us assume that he is new to muzzle loading and doesn't know what a grand will or won't buy. I haven't seen any $10,000+ custom guns, but that territory is definetly to the buyer's specs and tastes. I should think you could also find some mighty nice originals at that level, as well.

Again, I think he is looking more or less for something better than entry-level.

RedFeather

ps - Sometimes dollars don't always equal quality. There's one or two "custom gunsmiths" selling in the thousand dollar range around here that produce some pretty un-pretty long guns. In fit and finish they don't approach the Italian imports.

Why assume anything ?

The Original post :
"What company makes the best muzzle loaders regardless of price. Not that I have $1000 dollars to spend right now but maybe someday."

I don't see anything saying under 1K.

Squirrely Rifle
Just save your money and buy what makes YOU happy.There are a Lot of rifles out there to choose from.

Thanks guys,
I am kinda new to muzzle loading I have a T/C with a Green Mountain .32 cal. and a .40 cal barrel for it along with the .50 cal T/C barrel that came with it. I am looking for something that I can get for around a grand in a hawken or plains style rifle that would be more authentic and have a better fit and finish with an accurate round ball barrel.

Thanks

Back