• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Forgive me if this has been posted before but I have to make some posts before I can post on the classifieds. I'm new to flintlock and I'm wondering what is the best type of flint to use? Also I am in missouri so any type i can source myself? I use to look for arrowheads ALOT... so I know a few kinds that are around there is a ton of burrlington chert in the creek behind the house could I use that?

send me a couple hundred pounds of that Burlington Chert and i will assess it for you! :ghostly:
God must love you if he put you on that rock pile!
to answer your question as the best, black English is highly regarded.
native Chert is Georgetown, and Burlington. there are others but i can't think of them . i would take any and be happy to get my hands on either.

Last edited:
Guess I better go pick some up. Sounds like it works alright. Hey I'll make you a deal ill send you a bunch and in return you can knap it up and send me some finished flints back! Haha I'm not much of a knapper myself. I never liked doing it because I hated the idea of possibly having any of the ones I made accidentally make it into my collection some how.

I've had best results with flints from Rich Pierce and the English black flints I get from Track of the Wolf. I don't think Rich makes flints anymore and glad I loaded up on them a while back. I've always gotten the most shots and consistent sparks from these.

If I lived in an area that had suitable rocks, as you do, I would learn to chip my own, if only as a hobby.

Jeff

Forgive me if this has been posted before but I have to make some posts before I can post on the classifieds. I'm new to flintlock and I'm wondering what is the best type of flint to use? Also I am in missouri so any type i can source myself? I use to look for arrowheads ALOT... so I know a few kinds that are around there is a ton of burrlington chert in the creek behind the house could I use that?
Your chert will generate good sparks. That's the stone @rich pierce used when he was knapping flints. He's no longer knapping flints for sale, but they worked pretty good.

Where in Missouri are you located? If close to the eastern side of the state we might be able to offer some help.

Check out Heritage Products for a good selection of flints.

Heritage Products - Living History Reproductions (heritage-products.com)

I did spring for a 2 pound bag of flints from IMA. Got lucky, and got a load of English flints in the bag. Good selection of French cut flints as well. They weren’t cheap though! My grandkid think I’m nuts, buying rocks by the pound, with a driveway full of gravel!
You know what, my granddaughter have a box with plenty of my olds flints and one time she was gone to school and show that to her teacher an at the all class (she were 6 years old in this time) and have very correctly explained what it was for and how it works... 😍

Your chert will generate good sparks. That's the stone @rich pierce used when he was knapping flints. He's no longer knapping flints for sale, but they worked pretty good.

Where in Missouri are you located? If close to the eastern side of the state we might be able to offer some help.

Check out Heritage Products for a good selection of flints.

Heritage Products - Living History Reproductions (heritage-products.com)
please fellas! stop posting these sites! i am going broke with all the new toy stores!

"Check out Heritage Products for a good selection of flints."

Very nice folks to do business with and they are family owned and run.

Back