• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Best Faux Ivory/Stag/Jigged Bone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonah Hex

32 Cal
Reaction score
Ok so with Rugers I like the Altamont Company's faux ivory, because it feels and looks like the real deal.
Is there a brand that makes faux ivory for pietta and uberti cap and ball revolvers. I don't really prefer the
super plasticy grips.
Specifically are there any good "jigged bone' grips?

I think that they do. The original grips were to white and shiney. I wanted a more antique look.
IMG-4290 (2).JPG

I am presently making a pair of grips for one of my revolvers out of 4" PVC pipe. What does real ivory feel like?

Feels a bit like a bar of quality soap, dry, and just unwrapped. Firm and somehow slick. You feel like your fingernail could groove it. But it can't. Strange and wonderful quality. But not slick when you grip it!

Last edited:
They do look good on that gun. If you have ever handled dried bone, thats the best thing I can compare it to

I found for all the faux ivory that if its too white, or if you want it to look more like aged bone or ivory. You can run fine grained sandpaper over the grip (just one pass or two is fine -in the same direction like the natural grain pattern that bone will get). Then wipe on and wipe off some appropriately colored minwax. I use the darkest walnut black personally. Just a tiny bit will tint the grip. It works better and easier than coffee or tea staining that you read about. However, you must be careful as it is definitely permanent.

Last edited:
I made a set of wrap around grips for one of my cartridge revolvers using moose antler and found it to be superb grip material. It's also large enough to accommodate the more area wrap around designs require. I may have to make a set of scales for the ROA or 58 Pietta one day. The corrigations in the antlers are what provide the good grip surface and great look.

I have carved some real ivory in the past (walrus) and it is great stuff. The closest thing to it I found (back in the day) was ivory linen micarta. The material layers replicates the natural growth line in natural ivory. Both carve excellently and the micarta is much tougher than real ivory in use. A few years back the U.S. govt. burned 4 tons of confiscated poached ivory from the black market. I thought it should have been freely distributed to artists, through the National Endowment for the Arts (non-profit). Instead the material of countless elephants was wasted forever; Government at it's finest. The elephants died for nothing; their massacre could have been immortalized in art.

Last edited:
I have often thought about "destroying confiscated ivory" thing. It serves no purpose to burn it and sure wont bring the dead elephants back. It only takes tons out of circulation and makes it that much more sought after on the black market. You are right the elephants, died for naught.

Back