• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Berks County Longrifles and Gunmakers: 1750 to 1900

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrfyter43

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Runs from Spet. 12 through Dec. 31 at the New Palmer Gallery at the Historical Society of Berks County. The historical society is located at 940 Centre Ave. in Reading, PA.

The display is described as "An important exhibit of rifles, gunmaking tools and accouterments".

I picked up a flyer today at Dixon's. I tried to scan the flyer, but it didn't come out too good. Anyway, it says that

Exhibit includes 53 rifles, 4 pistols and an extensive collection of rare powder horns, as well as gun barrels and gunmaker’s tools made in Berks County from 1750””1900.

Highlights of the exhibit:

- 14 rifles from the famous Joe Kindig, Jr. collection””1750-1830

- The first signed and dated rifle made in Reading, PA”” 1761

- A rare elaborate rifle by Anthony Fricker, c1800, never before on public display

- Examples of rifles by each member of the famous Angstadt gunmaking family, 1700-1850

- Rare William Shener rifle and pistol, c1790

- The only extant swivel breach rifle by Leonard Reedy, c1800

- The rare folk art rifle by Johannes Neff, dated 1808

- The only known child’s rifle and fowler, c1790, built by Wolfgang Haga

- An 18th century German Jaeger rifle that strongly influenced the early Berks County gunsmiths

The exhibit is the largest collection of early Pennsylvania long rifles to be assembled since the exhibit held at the Historical Society of York County, Pennsylvania in 1972.

I plan on going next weekend. Will post pictures!

fyrfyter43 said:
I plan on going next weekend. Will post pictures!

I wish I could post pictures, but no cameras were allowed.

Overall, it was a very nice collection of original guns and accoutrements. More than 50 original guns, mostly from about 1760-1800 and about 25 original horns. Well worth the trip for anybody within reasonable driving distance, and especially for anybody with a particular interest in Berks County rifles.

I was at Dixon's today and Greg told me that the museum has extended the exhibit to February 27 due to the overwhelming interest.

Thought it was an excellent exhibit broken down into the city of Reading and four surrounding areas(Womelsdorf, Oley, Kutztown etc). The display has been extended until the end of February. It's well worth the time, expecially for folks looking to get a representation of the Berks/Reading school of gunsmithing.

Any Angstadt guns? I am a descendant of the original Angstadt who started his gunsmith shop in Rockland Township, berks County, in the 1740's.

zimmerstutzen said:
Any Angstadt guns?

Yes.

fyrfyter43 said:
Exhibit includes 53 rifles, 4 pistols and an extensive collection of rare powder horns, as well as gun barrels and gunmaker’s tools made in Berks County from 1750””1900.

Highlights of the exhibit:

- 14 rifles from the famous Joe Kindig, Jr. collection””1750-1830

- The first signed and dated rifle made in Reading, PA”” 1761

- A rare elaborate rifle by Anthony Fricker, c1800, never before on public display

- Examples of rifles by each member of the famous Angstadt gunmaking family, 1700-1850

- Rare William Shener rifle and pistol, c1790

- The only extant swivel breach rifle by Leonard Reedy, c1800

- The rare folk art rifle by Johannes Neff, dated 1808

- The only known child’s rifle and fowler, c1790, built by Wolfgang Haga

- An 18th century German Jaeger rifle that strongly influenced the early Berks County gunsmiths

The exhibit is the largest collection of early Pennsylvania long rifles to be assembled since the exhibit held at the Historical Society of York County, Pennsylvania in 1972.

I had a chance to look at the book about the guns in the exhibit. They gave a gun made by my great great, etc., Jacob Angstadt, but apparently none by his father Hans Michael Angstadt. Hans Michael was trained as a gunsmith in Saxony Germany and came to Philadelphia by way of Alsace Lorraine. (A town called Gumbrechtshoffen) He set up shop in Rockland Township, Berks County along the Lobachsville Pike around 1750.

I'll make a trip over there to see the exhibit. Wish they had a gun by Jacob's father though.

Sorry had the name crossed with another. it was Hans George Angstadt that came from Germany and set up shop in Rockland Township

Just got back from this. Great display.

I will confirm that they do get kind of unfriendly about taking pictures. :redface:

Back