• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beretta M/L

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Merry Christmass. I have flu and feel rotten :(
I recently got a Beretta super imposed and after shooting it I was left frustrated! It is very good with ball but will have to test it again now I have altered things!! The bores were very rough and pitted, it seems no one knows how to care for a M/L over here. When I loaded I could feel the pits tugging on the patches or cards, also it was a night mare to clean so yesterday I set to lapping it out. After four hours the tubes are vastly improved, not like new but now the tugging has gone and the cleaning is easier. The bores are somewhere in the region of .735-.740 now with a few thou tighter at the muzzles. Next I altered a card punch to accomodate and tried her at 30 paces-pretty darn good patterns from both tubes. Not so good patterns with 1/2 fibre wads.It was raining hard and I felt lousy so I went home. The clean up was much better. Interesting exercise. Is there a gauge size for this bore diameter? I am impressed with how much lighter the Beretta is compared to my Pedersoli.
Last Saturday I took two pheasants and a pigeon but I missed hell of alot so I,m hoping I can do better now. Happy New years.

I believe that would be an 11 gauge, check with circlefly wads. As to your missed shots, perhaps the change to a lighter gun is messing up your follow through, just as a guess. Rest up and get over it, there is a lot of hunting to be done! :grin:

Keeping the thing clean is very important to good functioning in the Beretta over/under muzzleloaders. I had to do a lot of experimenting to get a good sequence of loading and cleaning in order to eliminate misfires.

Clean, Clean clean, especially in the breech end of things. It will pay off.

Good luck, enjoy yours.

rayb

Cheers rayb, mine seems to go of very well so far. I have been using some Sellior&bellot caps that were thrown in with it and I must say they seem like a good hot cap. It might be worth trying the Remington caps I usually use just to check, in saying that though I switched to them from CCI as they seemed hotter.
I finnished the replacment ram rod made from a carbon arrow the other day, looks ok and I have threaded both ends for my screw for pulling shot.
I don,t think it would screw a ball though.
I need to get out with it soon as it is starting to itch some :grin:

I tested my "11" gauge Beretta today and it,s new ram rod. I am very happy with it,s performance now. Loading is a much smoother afair now. I missed a pheasant and then got a going away bird at 28 paces but required a second barrel as after it's fall it went to run of so I treated as a test for rabbit and it did fine. Next I downed a partridge at similar distance and missed the second bird. Then another pheasant close and fast. A squirrel at 25yds and another up a larch. Then a pigeon. Nearly dark I loaded with ball just the same as before the bore polishing but It did not shoot as good! I only managed to find one patch and it was obviously scorched, not much but scorched none the less. This has never happened before so I guess it now needs a thicker patch. Interestingly there was straight lines in the muzzles as if gasses were passing in some places!!
I shall try it again. The two shots by the way would still of got deer but they were to the right3-4" at center and 4" apart @ 40 paces. Before they were on the bull @ 40 paces and 2" apart. There you have it, I think it is coming together slowly. It is much nicer to carry than my Pedersoli mainly because it's lighter.

NO, you need to use an Over Powder Wad when you shoot those round balls. Buy them through Circle Fly direct, or from Track of the wolf. The OP wad will protect that patch, and give you the consistent velocity you need to get good round ball accuracy.

berettaML.jpg

Here's a photo :wink:

Congratulations. I am sure that is the finest pheasant you have ever taken. There is always something special to enjoy when you take game with a BP shotgun or rifle.

Paul

Back