• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beginner questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to wipe the bore between shots, remember, the patch should be damp. Not wet.
Also, do NOT pump the ramrod and wiping patch up and down the barrel.
Doing that is almost a sure fire way of knocking the fouling on the walls of the barrel down into the flame channel or the vent.
Burned fouling does not burn and it can plug up things real fast.

IMO the best way to wipe the bore is to dampen a clean 'cleaning patch'. It should be wet to the touch but not dripping wet.

Run the damp patch down the bore on a cleaning jag until it hits bottom.
Count to 5 slowly.
Then, in one smooth, slow motion, pull the rod/jag/patch back up out of the bore.

On the way down, the damp patch will moisten the fouling.

Giving it a count of 5 allows the moisture to soak into and soften the fouling on the bores walls.

Slowly pulling the damp patch/jag back up the bore will collect the softened fouling on the top of the cleaning patch so it can't get down into the vital areas.

Have fun. :)

Every body is pointing you in the right direction. Check out some on line stores like Track of the wolf, Pecotonic rifles, Log Cabin sport shop, Dixie Gun Works, Jeddidiah Star. These companies offer horns,flask,cleaning stuff lubbs ect. Keep in mind all these companies exist to sell stuff and will load you down like a pack horse. On the other hand lots of stuff are just plain handy, not a requirement, but handy and can give you lots of food for thought.

Zonie, that's close to what I'm doing now, except I haven't been waiting before I pull up the patch. I'll try that next outing.

Tenngun, the only thing that I bought that I haven't used already is the ball puller - and that's just fine with me!

Cheers,

Jamie

+ 1 to what everyone else has said, especially the "hang around here" part. When I started with black powder I knew practically nothing and everyone here has been a HUGE help for me rather than learning everything the hard way. :thumbsup:

Just to be on the safe side, pull your ramrod and drop it down the barrel if you hear a metalic "clink" then you are good to go but if you hear a slight "thud" then you have something down the bore. Also with the ram rod down the bore look to see how much if any is sticking out the muzzle. If the ramrod is flush or reasonably so with the muzzle you are good to go if it sticks out a couple of inches mark the rod at the muzzle and remove it from the barrel. Lay the ramrod beside the barrel with the mark at the muzzleand see where the end stops compared to the nipple. If it is an inch or more above the nipple you may have something in the bore. DO NOT TRY TO SHOOT THE OBSTRUCTION OUT OF THE BARREL! If the rifle is loaded you don't know what the barrel may have been loaded with. Someone could have cut open a couple of shotgun shells and used that for powder if so and you shoot it it can cause the barrel to burst and seriously hurt or kill you. If nothing else you will probably need a shower and clean clothes.
Be safe and have fun.

For powder, 3F will be your choice for shooting .50 cal. Pyrodex will work, but Goex Black Powder is your best bet. The only place in Arizona to buy Black Powder is at Thunderstick Trading Co:
1125 N Jefferson Ave.
Tucson, AZ 85701
Phone: 520-290-8599.

Take Speedway about a block east of Craycroft Rd. N. Jefferson is a pi$$Y little side street, and easy to pass by. The Shop will be on your left as you drive north on N. Jefferson, and is about as wide as the telephone pole at the end of the driveway. It's next door to a barber shop.

Call them ahead to ensure they have your powder on hand.

I buy my BP online, especially since all of the new regulations went into effect, which caused most all brick and mortar retailers to quit selling it. I just discovered Graf and Sons website the other day. They stock Graf, of course, and Swiss, as well as Goex. I always have used Goex, and they sell it @$16.59 per lb, the cheapest I've found anywhere. They ship by Fed Ex ground and you must be home to sign for the delivery because you are required by law to do so. There are other online retailers, but they require you to send a photo copy of your DL and or signed affidavit stating your age before they'll ship to you, and their prices are higher than Grafs as well. Just differences in state laws I suppose. Nevertheless, I've discovered that Grafs is the way to go for the least hassle AND cheapest price. It sure beats burning up the roads in search of BP. Hope this helps guys, and keep yer powder dry.

EDIT:.......You do have to send Graf a photocopy of your DL, but no signed affadavit, which imo is really no big deal.

If you had said, "in Tucson" you probably are right.

"In Arizona" covers a lot of ground and the last time I checked, Thunderbird Cartridge Company, located at 7215 West Southern Ave in Laveen, Arizona (just West of Phoenix) also carries black powder.

People in the Phoenix area wanting to buy powder from them should call them at 602-237-3823 to confirm the sale and to give them a chance to get the powder out of the storage locker.
http://www.tbirdammo.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard Bass Pro in Mesa (or near) has it too but only if ya ask (I called, was told no then another member posted he bought it same weekend). I will order online next time.

Back