• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Been busy, Mocs, Knife, Canteen, Shot Flask and Hunting Bags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko50

32 Cal.
Reaction score
G/Day Folks been busy of late making all sorts of odds and ends to compliment my new Journey into Muzzle Loading

Mocs made from Goat Leather

This Bag is made from Scrap from 4 different Hides, turned out real well. The Strap is salvaged from a less than satisfactory Bag I made earlier.

Latest Hunting Bag made from Goat Leather, the Flap is made from scrap Vegetable Tanned Leather I selected for it's imperfections. Its too big and I now use it as a Daily Tote.

a Leather Canteen, Shot Flask for .45 Cal Roundball, a Knife made from an old set of Garden Shears and Sheath. I'm thinking of hardening this Sheath with Beeswax.

there's more but this is enough for now

regards Jacko

The moccasins look a little large for you feet. Also, what holds them on?

001_zpsplxqgqmb.jpg

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Claude I have an incredibly high Arch and a Wide Foot. I have size 10 1/2 Foot but have to wear size 12 21st Century EE width lace up Shoes to get my Foot into them. I need that long wide opening at the Top just to get my Foot into these Mocs, any smaller in any way and I cant get my Foot into them. They have a Thong of Leather that wraps around under the Flap that Tie's at the back. I have not Snugged the Thong up as tight as it could be in the Photo and it was the first Time I'd worn them. This was my first Pair, I took a lot of time on the Pattern including making mock ups from Cloth. I am not convinced Centre Seam Mocs are for me, especially as the Terrain I Hunt is pretty Gnarly. I am thinking I might wear these around the House a little more, get them shaped to my Foot and stitch on some thick Leather Soles and see how they go then. The worst that can happen is I'll learn something.

I am wide open to suggestions on how to improve my Work or on different style Moccasins that may suit my Freak Feet better. I have a copy of George M Whites CRAFT MANUAL of NORTH AMERICAN INDIAN FOOTWEAR, really good refence Material and Instructions

regards Jacko

You're a clever bloke. Is that a Dingo print on the bag flap? Nice work all around. :thumbsup:

If you are interested in Mountain Man then consider pucker vamp mocs. I personally think they are more comfortable because the vamps allow for more space at the toe.

Nice stuff.

Reading your blurb on your feet sounds like a lot of my shoe customers.

Go back and turn your mocassins inside out. Take out the center seam all the way down to where the tip of the mocassin comes about midway up your toe before curving and covering the foot.

Re-punch the top seam holes about a half inch apart, starting where you left off as the front comes over the toe. Using sinew with needles at both ends, start where the seam under the toe left off. Push one needle through that last hole so the thread lengths are even and thread BOTH needles through the same of each hole going the same direction all the way up to the throat.

Go through one hole from the left, then the next from the right, the next through the left and so on, weaving back and forth all the way up the seam.

When you get to the throat, gently pull and work the seam so as to get an even , gentle pucker all the way up the seam.

Secure the knots and turn the mocassins back right side out.

These will now mold to your feet and cause a lot less pain because, among other things, the bottom seam will be between your big and middle toe where you won't feel it, and the leather will stretch in the right spots instead of where it wants to at your expense. I have no idea why, but it turned out to be the only way to get a more tailored fit to the center seam moc.

You do good work.

Great Tip Greg, I will post my results when I alter these Moccasins

regards Jacko

Claude said:
The moccasins look a little large for you feet. Also, what holds them on?

001_zpsplxqgqmb.jpg

I made a pair of moccasins like that out of deer hide and there's a real problem with using that pattern that has the seam go over the top and finish under the toe...IT LEAKS! If there is any dampness at all in the ground it will come through that toe seam. If you step in just 1/4" of water, you will get wet socks.

There's a link below to directions on how to make center-seam, pucker-toe moccasins. The center seam starts behind the toe on the top of the moc, so water doesn't come through from wet grass and such.
http://www.nativetech.org/seminole/moccasins/construction.php

I still have a pair that I made from a kit and they ended up like yours except I included a wool liner inside of mine. Every time I use them, I treat them with a waterproofing paste in an attempt to keep dry. I'm careful to fully cover those seams. Sometimes the treatment will last 2 days before I have to do it again.

Twisted_1in66:thumbsup:
Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good Jacko. As for your feet...

...are you a Hobit by any chance?

Latest posts

Back