• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bedroll cover

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigman

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a canvas bedroll cover.
Does any one have any experiance with one?
Does anyone have thoughts on their historical authenticity?

Foster from Flint

I get my "Princes" mixed up- Wilhelm Du Wied- I think that's how you spell his name. 1838 upper Missouri- mentions sailcloth as a cover for his bedroll.

Uncle Pig said:
I am looking at getting a canvas bedroll cover.
Does any one have any experiance with one?
Does anyone have thoughts on their historical authenticity?

Foster from Flint

Please note that the quote mentions a piece of sailcloth used as a cover. A bedroll cover is a dedicated piece of material with a single use. Better to carry a piece of canvas that can be used for multiple purposes (shelter, groundcloth, cover, etc). Not to mention, that if it is waterproofed, the moisture from you gets trapped inside, the result of which is you still get wet...

Carry a tarp and use it as a cover (as needed).

A bedroll cover is a dedicated piece of material with a single use. Better to carry a piece of canvas that can be used for multiple purposes (shelter, groundcloth, cover, etc). Not to mention, that if it is waterproofed, the moisture from you gets trapped inside, the result of which is you still get wet...

Carry a tarp and use it as a cover (as needed).

Yep, if I'm on foot, I dislike the extra weight of a single use item. If I 'aint gotta carry it, I like all the luxury items... :wink:

Unfortunately I'm not that knowledgeable about cloth. Drill, Twill, Canvas, Duck- I think it was all made out of cotton but the thickness or the weave was different. Sail cloth I think was cotton. Why would you have sail cloth? Maybe the keel boats going up the Missouri used it and had remnants left over from sails that ripped or some how gave out. Now- be careful- one German prince using sail cloth as a bed roll cover doesn't mean mountain men used it. There was in 1839 a map maker from France- Joseph Nicolette (SIC?) that was guided out of Ft. Pierre by Provost and this French man used mosquito netting- but that doesn't mean mountain men used it.

You may want to look at the "watch coat" that tentsmiths sells. It's made of oilskin and is made large enough to fit over you and your gear when worn, it could easily double as a bedroll cover and doesn't take up much room. You could also buy some oilskin or canvas and make what you need yourself.

Try Four Seasons Tentmasters. :bow:
For a single $75.00 each
A double is $150 each
Call them at (517) 436-6245
I have had mine for over 10 years noe and wouldn't camp without it, we also camp in February
here in Michigan :youcrazy:

I've been using one of the cowboy types for years and like it alot. Put one of those thin pads like the Army uses inside along with a wool blanket, roll it up and you're good to go. When ready to crash just unroll climb in. Mine's got a flap on the end that you can pull down over your head as well. You could also place a sleeping bag inside if you wanted but I've found a blanket or two to be sufficient.

I made one out of painter cloth painted in linseed oil. It took about a week to dry but now it is waterproof. I made it three feet wide by fourteen feet long. With this I have a ground cloth and bedroll cover or a doubled ground cloth. Hope you find what you need/want.
Wanderer

In civil war reenacting we use a period ground cloth baxically it's rubberized cloth. You can roll up in it, tie the grommet holes together fill it with straw and you have a bed, Toss it down on the floor of your tent. Also there is a ponch that basically a 4x6 or bigger piece of rubberized canvas with a slit in it. Alot like a serape.I have know guys sleep in a driving rain leaning against a tree trunk wearing the poncho.

I had one made out of canvas duck I used at events ("trucking in the plantation" so to speak)... BUT then I started trekking & it was too heavy. I bought (on sale) a high thread count (at least 500+) king size top sheet (although you could also use a queen), waterproofed it and attached ties at various intervals. Along with a wool blanket stitched 3/4 closed I had a new trekking bedroll. It attaches by buckle straps to the bottom of my fold over backpack... I can (and have) used it at a shelter as well. Good luck Uncle.

I had one made out of canvas duck I used at events ("trucking in the plantation" so to speak)... BUT then I started trekking & it was too heavy. I bought (on sale) a high thread count (at least 500+) king size top sheet (although you could also use a queen), waterproofed it and attached ties at various intervals. Along with a wool blanket stitched 3/4 closed I had a new trekking bedroll. It attaches by buckle straps to the bottom of my fold over backpack... I can (and have) used it at a shelter as well. Good luck Uncle.

Back