• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beckwourth Rifle Copy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
There are several threads about this rifle on this forum. I was asked by its owner to make a copy of it. It is now done, about $1000 in parts and materials and over 300 hours of figuring out how to build it, what parts might work or how to make my own and then building it. Jeff wanted it made as a flintlock, as it originally was. It has a .560 bore barrel by Bobby Hoyt, and an excellent one it is, and the balls should be .540 to .550, but I had .535 Hornadys and regulated the sights with them. I shot it 44 times with 4 powders, and with good patching and over-powder wads, it will shoot all the balls into one hole at 50 yards. OOPS_ I got double pictures and don't know how to delete the second set. MODERATOR- can you delete the second set? Thanks.
Beckwourth half right side.JPG
Beckwourth half butt.JPG
Lock 2 tgts-2.JPG
Beckwourth 120 gr Swiss 1 and half.JPG
Beckwourth half right side.JPG
Beckwourth half butt.JPG
Lock 2 tgts-2.JPG
Beckwourth 120 gr Swiss 1 and half.JPG

Outstanding work, @Herb . I've been interested in that Beckwourth rifle for a long time, and it is great to see an accurate reproduction of it. Your workmanship is impeccable, and the rifle is a beauty.

Man, it's a shooter, too! Even with balls .025" under bore size! Did Mr. Hoyt do anything special or different with the bore or the rifling? I understand the original had seven grooves, and a lot of the old-time barrel makers cut a tapered bore, slightly larger at the breech. I know Mr. Hoyt is capable of making a barrel like that on request.

Congratulations for a job well done!

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob- The bore is .560, seven lands and grooves, 1 in 48" twist, round bottom grooves, 40 5/8" long, tapered from 1.250 to 1.125, 3/4x16 breech plug fitted with four inch tang. I relieved the muzzle so a ball would set into the muzzle half way.

Last edited:
Back