• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bear grease?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msalm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've read in a few of the books with references made to rendered bear grease as the best patch lubricant. Has anyone ever tried it, and how well does it work? I shot my first bear last fall here in WI and rendered out 12 quarts of it. I used it for a cutting lubricant while cutting some rifling grooves and it worked pretty well, but haven't experimented with it as a patch lubricant yet. It stays soft at colder temps, and I'm thinking it should work pretty well. I'd like to hear any comments from those who have experience with it.

Thanks.

MSALM, swamp rat made some and was good enough to send some my way...great patch lube! mixed it 50/50 w/ beeswax...good stuff,,an there's an adirondack 9 point that wishes i hadn't used it! :winking: if ya do a search i hnow there's been posts about it...RC (an NO it ain't rancid! :blah: )

Fries up the best donuts I've ever eaten, but I never tried it for patches. Long as there's a chance of fresh, hot donuts I don't think I'll let any out of the kitchen.

Actually, I simply haven't gotten around to trying it yet, though I've heard the same good reports. Trouble would be, it would probably cut my hunts short because I get one whiff of it and it makes me hungry for donuts.

I'v tryed some bummbling bear greese from October Country works good. They say that they have used it to -30 and still works good . I plan on making some if I get a bear this fall. Regards Fishe King

ah,, brownbear.. ummm, maybe,,jes thinkin back to when that 9 pt. came in....do deer like donuts? instead of 50/50 bear grease/beeswax.maybe beeswax and used donut grease???? hmmmm :hmm: could be onto somethin here....beats urine lure! :shocked2: RC

You need to match the hole in the doughnut to your bore. Better accuracy. I should think the absolute best doughnut grease would be Krispy Kreme's. (Plus, you can stock up on hot-off-the belt while you're there. And I do feel sorry for those not fortunate enough to have sampled this.)

RC said:
mixed it 50/50 w/ beeswax...
Does it thicken up much with the addition of the wax? And does it leave much residue in the bore?

J

“Let the world know”¦”¦that America is ready and if need be, desirous of battle.” T. Roosevelt

NO WORRIES,, well, i played chemist(?) with mine.. started of 75/25- 60/40- went to 50/50..worked well, thicken up enough so it was a lil lighter than a paste, as fer build up..uh, don't know, only used it fer huntin,,on the range i use spit patches.. but it wasn't bad buildup when i was sightin in for hunting,,maybe 10-12 shots,and cleaned pretty good..and used it on my overpowder wads in my smoothie..that worked excellent! no added build up compare to just spit patches,but again was only less than a dozen shots. jes my expierence with swamprats grease...but after seein all the stuff that boy cooks up..cider mead,,,i'm not exactly sure the bear grease is pure! :shocked2: ya gotta watch that boy,,he ain't afraid to be mixin stuff,,specially if'n he can get it too bubble! the bear oil he got works awesome too, put in on my lock......careful tho, that hammer get kinda slipperdy if ya don't pay attention.. :shocked2: RC

One of the best, I won second place in a shoot using bear grease. Fox Fire book says it is next to sperm oil, Sperm being no I. I have some froze that I am hoarding. Dilly

Boar-dilly said:
I have some froze that I am hoarding. Dilly

Froze?????? If you're freezing it so it will keep, no need. Bear grease has an indefinite shelf life. As far as patch lube, I've tried it a few times. Seemed OK. Never tried it mixed with bees wax tho. I think I'll make some up today. It IS however, a wonderfull leather dressing. I use it on all my leather goods, I've used it as a rust preventative on my guns, actually rub the entire gun down stock and all including a patch down the bore after cleaning. Works well and hangs where you put it. It won't migrate down the bore in to the breech if you store your guns muzzle up. Also use it for dry skin as a moisturizer. For baking, it makes the best buns, bread, cookies and pastries you've ever had however, it's a long chain saturated fat and from a health standpoint, it's about as bad as it gets.

Now that begs a question too. I actually canned my grease in mason jars, pouring it in piping hot and sealed the jars up, all the lids sealed well. I've heard it can go rancid on you, but how long do you thing it would stay good in those jars if they stay sealed??? I have them in pint jars figuring I can open up one as I need them, and I should use the jar up before it goes bad.

according to swampy an others if ya cook it CLEAN no meat.no blood jes pure fat,it won't go rancid,,my hasn't an it's just in a jar with a screw on top... when ya talk bout freezing,that's raw yer freezin right,,seems if ya didn't that would go bad...uncooked.... have to get ahold of bubbles,,,i mean swampy..when he gets up,or gets away from the fishies or stops droolin over his almost done smoothie,,,i'm sure when he's see's a bear grease post,he'll come slidin right in.. :shocked2:

Heres a few pints of gun oil (bear oil) I just finished. [url] http://home.earthlink.net/~freetrapper20/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/hpim0230.jpg[/url]
I'm interested in how other folks make their batches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got some of swamprats bear fixins also :grin: Great stuff.If Im lucky enough to draw a bear tag Im gonna send some back to him....well thats if I get a bear.Gotta get his instructions on how to make it though.Maybe send some deer and elk grease also.

Gates Co. Freetrapper said:
Heres a few pints of gun oil (bear oil) I just finished.
I'm interested in how other folks make their batches.

Looks good. I cut the fat into small pieces (about 1" cubes) and cook on low heat on a camp stove in the garage. Then scoop out the cracklin's with a ladle and pour the oil through a collander with a piece of paper towel to filter it, into another pot to cool. When cooled a bit, I pour it into ice cream pails and store it in those. DON'T pour the oil from the rendering pot directly into the ice cream pails. It's hot enough to melt the pail and you end up with oil everywhere. Been there, done that.

Guess ya know by now it's all I use for patch lube. brush the lock internals with the oil and wipe the guns down with it. :thumbsup:

I separate the oil and use the best stuff for lubing my locks. I don't get a whole lot of fat to render, mainly what I can get from my Uncles annual spring hunt. So once the oil is rendered I then make a lube of oil/beeswax and a mixture of left over fat, oil and beeswax use this for other things like dressing leather but I see no reason why it can't be used for a patch lube also. Bear oil

When I shot my bear last year, I knew I wanted to render the fat out, so I saved all of it, including the stuff I scraped off the hide before tanning. I ended up with a Nesco full of it and cooked it down for some time. This was off a smallish bear in the 170lb range. I have a few friends that have bear tags this year, and I'm sure I'll be able to get more, so I'll probably render out a couple more gallons before I tire of it. Of course it's always nice to have a good supply so you can give some away to a few friends that want to use it too.

Thanks for the info.

Back